2001 Chevy Blazer 4.3l stalling and no restart

GUYONTHEMTA
  • 2001 CHEVROLET BLAZER
I have a Blazer that on a very hot day after driving for a while it will start to stall out, when you push on the gas it want to die out, also it will stall sometimes at a complete stop, to accelerate the process of stalling if you turn on the a/c it will do it too. It will not restart for a while until it cools way down. I have replaced the CRK position sensor, ignition coil, plugs, dist. Cap and rotor, new fuel filter a couple hundred miles ago, had a coolant flush and new thermostat (does not seem to be overheating), I hooked a fuel pressure gauge up and there is adequate fuel pressure (55-60 psi) even while it starts to die out.
Friday, July 9th, 2010 AT 4:13 PM

INTERNETMECHANIC
Hi, thanks for the donation. When the problem occurs, have a helper crank it, while you visually check for spark at the plugs. You can carry a known good spark plug or spark tester in your glove box, it won't be hot. Then pull a spark plug wire, use gloves, or spark plug wire puller, if the wire is hot. Stick the tester in the boot, ground metal part of plug/tester to metal part of engine, engine cranking, watch for spark.

Key on engine off fuel pressure, shouldn't be below 60 psi for spider system, just my opinion. Be careful about letting gas spray all over a hot engine, don't start no fire.
Friday, July 9th, 2010 AT 4:33 PM
GUYONTHEMTA
I tested to see if I have spark and I do, any other opinions?
Friday, July 9th, 2010 AT 6:32 PM
INTERNETMECHANIC
What about the fuel pressure issue? Under 60psi, koeo, is too low in my opinion. Is there an injector pulse, when the problem occurs?
Friday, July 9th, 2010 AT 6:43 PM
GUYONTHEMTA
Im not sure about the injector pulsing but, when the car stalls out and you turn the key forward to listen to the fuel pump it turns to a loud hum instead of its usual noise. It sounds like it is starving for fuel when it begins to die out and you try and keep it going. But the pressure is right at 60 psi so im not sure.
Saturday, July 10th, 2010 AT 11:02 AM
INTERNETMECHANIC
With the spider fuel system, sometimes the fuel poppets need cleaning? You might try some seafoam, see if it helps? Also, when the problem occurs, can you look at fuel trims?
Saturday, July 10th, 2010 AT 11:38 AM
GUYONTHEMTA
Yes I am able to look at the fuel trims, but the last time I checked it was a while ago. Also today I brought the blazer up to temp and waited for the problem to start, listening closer I could hear the area where the injectors and pressure regulator beging to make a louder ticking noise and at that point I shut off the truck and tried to restart but it would not until it cooled down. Also when you turned the key forward to turn the fuel pump on it made a louder noise up by the injectors. I checked resistance in the injectors and they were all right around 12.6 ohms
Saturday, July 10th, 2010 AT 3:36 PM
INTERNETMECHANIC
I don't do well with noises, my hearing is no good. I don't know what else to tell you?
Saturday, July 10th, 2010 AT 4:07 PM
GUYONTHEMTA
Yep this is one problem I am not able to figure out but I guess thanks for your help
Saturday, July 10th, 2010 AT 4:30 PM
KHLOW2008
Problem seems to be from the fuel injectors or pressure regulator.

Did you test the injectors for pulsing when the problem occurs?
Sunday, July 11th, 2010 AT 3:41 AM
GUYONTHEMTA
No I have not yet tested the injectors for pulsing while it is occuring. But I have read that gm has a conversion kit from csefi to mfi because of the injectors on the 4.3 which are poppet type and they have all kinds of trouble so I opted to get this conversion kit and I will see how it does after I am finished with the swap.
Sunday, July 11th, 2010 AT 3:11 PM
KHLOW2008
That would be a reasonable choice to make and keep us posted of the outcome.

Good luck.
Monday, July 12th, 2010 AT 12:23 PM