2000 CHEVY BLAZER FRONT DIFFERENTIAL

• denverh
  • 2000 Chevrolet Blazer

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
2000 Chevy Blazer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 90000 miles

I notice that my Blazer requires more power to go around corners in 4 wheel drive than in 2 wheel. To give you an idea of the difference, if I'm going down a spiral parking ramp in 2 wheel drive, I need to use the brakes to hold the speed down. However, in 4 wheel drive, I have to step on the gas to make any progress at all. Even on a snowy surface, I can feel how much harder is is to go around a corner in 4 wheel drive than in 2. I don't remember noticing this at the beginning of last winter, but I definitely noticed it at the end.

My local garage tired to tell me that was normal for 4 wheel drive, because the front wheels are locked together and one ends up having to slip on the pavement while going around corners. I thought that was part of what the front differential was supposed to do.

Thanks for any advice.

Sunday, October 5th, 2008 AT 1:06 PM