1999 Chevy Blazer

1999 Chevy Blazer Four Wheel Drive Automatic 142000 miles

I just bought a used 1999 Chevy Blazer LT. The first week it drove perfectly. Yesterday it drove fine on the way to work but on the way home as I accelerated away from a stop light stop, the engine simply died. The battery light was the only one that came on. It was as if I turned off the key. It started right back up. This morning it drove fine on the way to work but after about a mile on the way home, I stopped at a stop light and it simply died exactly as it did the day before. Started right up and then died again. Started up and drove fine for about five miles. I stopped to pick up my son, let the engine run with the truck in park for about 5 minutes and then when I went to pull away from the parking lot it got about 150 yards and then when I stepped on the accelerator it acted as if it wasn't getting gas and died again. Started right up and drove fine after that. Any idea what the problem is? I had just a little less than half a tank of gas in the vehicle at the time.

Wednesday, March 31st, 2010 AT 6:54 PM

Hi free-to-be. The place to start looking would be the fresh air intake tubes and Mass Air Flow (MAF)sensor in the tube. These sensors have given GM a lot of trouble in the past. The more common problem with the sensor is it will cause a stall and no-restart condition until it cools down. The defect can also show up by tapping on the sensor with a screwdriver handle while the engine is idling. If the engine stalls, the sensor is defective. If the engine does not stall, the sensor still could be causing an intermittent problem; you can't be sure.

What would be more typical of the problem you're describing is a small air leak in that tubing, possibly from a loose hose clamp or a dry-rotted / cracked tube, or a vacuum leak in one of the small vacuum hoses. It is critically important for all air entering the engine to go through the MAF sensor. The Engine Computer uses that sensor's calculation to determine the precise quantity of fuel to deliver. Any air that sneaks in through a leak will not be measured so not enough fuel will enter the engine.

If no air leaks can be found, the MAF sensor might need to be cleaned. Usually though, this doesn't cause an intermittent problem. It would more likely act up all the time.

Friday, April 2nd, 2010 AT 12:52 PM