HEATER/VENT MODULE REPLACEMENT
1. Remove the instrument panel. See INSTRUMENT PANEL (I/P) CARRIER REPLACEMENT.
2. Drain the engine coolant.
3. On vehicles with automatic climate control only, cut the outer layer of the A/C evaporator and blower module in order to access the service access cover..
4. On vehicles with automatic climate control only, remove the service access cover mounting screws (1). 5. On vehicles with automatic climate control only, remove the service access cover (2).
6. On vehicles without automatic climate control, remove the blower motor resistor.
IMPORTANT: Mark and use the same mounting bolt for the heater/vent module during the installation process. Other mounting bolts are longer and will obstruct the operation of the temperature door.
7. Remove the heat/vent module mounting bolt through the blower motor resistor or service access cover opening.
8. On vehicles with A/C only, remove the right wheel house panel.
9. On vehicles with A/C only, raise and support vehicle.
10. On vehicles with A/C only, remove the front right tire.
11. On the Utility only, remove the A/C evaporator and blower module heat shield screws.
12. On the Utility only, slide the A/C evaporator and blower module heat shield toward the front of the vehicle.
13. Remove the 2 lower heat/vent module mounting nuts.
14. On the Utility only, remove the A/C evaporator and blower module heat shield bracket.
15. Remove the bottom right heat/vent module mounting bolt from inside the vehicle.
16. On the Utility only, while an assistant inside the vehicle pulls the bottom right corner of the heat/vent module approximately 2.5 mm (1 in) back, remove the 2 heat/vent module mounting studs..
17. On vehicles with A/C only, lower the vehicle.
18. On vehicles with a 2.2 L engine only, remove the engine wiring harness bracket located at the rear of the intake manifold.
19. Remove the HVAC module mounting bolt located at the lower left side of the heater core to heater hose connection.
20. Remove the HVAC module mounting nut located at the lower right side of the heater core to heater connection.
IMPORTANT: The heat/vent mounting stud has a flange on the inside and cannot be removed from under the hood. Stop turning the stud after the threads are off the heat/vent module.
21. On the Utility only, loosen the HVAC module mounting studs until the threads are free from the heat/vent module.
22. Disconnect all of the electrical connectors from the HVAC module.
23. Disconnect all of the vacuum lines from the heater assembly.
24. Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core.
25. Remove the HVAC module from the vehicle.
INSTRUMENT PANEL (I/P) CARRIER REPLACEMENT
1. On vehicles equipped with a manual transmission, remove the shift lever.
2. On vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission, perform the following steps:
A. Apply the park brake.
B. Insert the ignition key and turn the ignition switch to the RUN position.
C. Depress the brake pedal and shift the transmission to the 1 position.
D. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
CAUTION:Before servicing any electrical component, the ignition and start switch must be in the OFF or LOCK position and all electrical loads must be OFF, unless instructed otherwise in these procedures. If a tool or equipment could easily come in contact with a live exposed electrical terminal, also disconnect the negative battery cable. Failure to follow these precautions may cause personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.
3. Disconnect the battery negative cable.
4. Remove the left sound insulator.
5. Remove the right instrument panel sound insulator.
6. If the vehicle is equipped with a multiple CD changer located in the center console, remove the center console.
7. Remove the center sound insulator.
8. Remove the lower left instrument panel mounting bolt.
9. Remove and retain the instrument panel storage compartment.
10. Remove the lower right instrument panel mounting bolt.
11. Remove and retain the left and right speakers and the speaker grilles.
12. Use a flat-bladed tool in order to remove the windshield defroster grille. Retain the grille and sunload sensor for use on the next IP carrier..
13. If equipped with a sun load temperature sensor, twist the sensor 1/4 turn counterclockwise in order to disengage.
14. Disconnect the brown electrical connection from the body control module (BCM).
15. Disconnect the purple electrical connection from the body control module (BCM).
16. Remove the knee bolster brackets.
17. Remove and retain the instrument cluster.
18. Remove and retain the radio.
19. Remove the HVAC control assembly.
CAUTION:This vehicle is equipped with a Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) System. Failure to follow the correct procedure could cause the following conditions:
? Air bag deployment
? Personal injury
? Unnecessary SIR system repairs
In order to avoid the above conditions, observe the following guidelines:
? Refer to SIR Component Views in order to determine if you are performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring.
? If you are performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring, disable the SIR system.
? Disable the passenger side SIR system
20. Remove the left and right instrument panel driver knee bolster brackets. 21. Lower the steering column for clearance.
IMPORTANT: Label all of the connections in order to avoid improper installation.
22. Remove the top instrument panel screws.
23. Roll the instrument panel down.
24. Disconnect the electrical connections, as needed.
25. Remove the fastener that retains the radio antenna cable to the instrument panel.
26. Remove the instrument panel from the vehicle.
27. If replacing the instrument panel carrier, retain the parts for assembly of the new instrument panel carrier.
Monday, April 6th, 2009 AT 9:01 PM