CHEVY FRONT DIFFERENTIAL

1997 Chevrolet Blazer

skatester

February, 24, 2010 AT 8:41 AM

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
1997 Chevy Blazer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 158000 miles

I need to have my front dif re-built, The problem is that it needs to be shipped out and its gonna take a few weeks. Can I still drive the truck without the front axles being bolted into the bearing hub assemblies, or will the bearings fall apart. If not can I cut a pair of junk axles and put the spline shaft end thru the bearing assembly and bolt it in? Will this work.

Jacobandnickolas

February, 24, 2010 AT 10:11 AM

No and No. If you put an axle in place, there is no way to keep it from moving around in the (empty ) differential.

skatester

February, 24, 2010 AT 10:28 AM

The differential would not be there. The whole outer case assembly will be removed. I have to ship it out as a whole, not just the inside. And what I mean by putting the axles back in is cut the axle off at the first knuckle so I could bolt that piece of the axle back to the wheel bearing assembly. Pretty much destroying a set of axles.
I just need to know if I drive away if the wheels will fall off.

Jacobandnickolas

February, 24, 2010 AT 10:49 AM

Based on what I believe you want to do, yes, the wheels will come off. There is nothing to hold the axles into the bearing.

Please be careful if you try something like this. I can't see how it could be safe.

Differential Fluid Level Check
Differential Fluid Service Chevrolet 2500HD
Axle Bearing, Seal, E-Brake Shoes, Brake Pads
Axle Seal Replacement
Differential Fluid Service - Front
Differential Fluid Drain/Refill