1997 Chevy Blazer Electrical

DUCK7264
  • 1997 CHEVROLET BLAZER
I have a 1997 chevy blazer s10 4.3L automatic 2 whl dr. The problem I am having is that whenever the ignition is in the "off" position the blower motor for the heater/ac stays on and the electric windows are still working. I am having trouble keeping the battery charged also. I just bought a new battery last week and is already dead. Have been told sounds like an ignition switch problem but I just had a new put in about a year ago. Any info on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Glenn
Sunday, November 8th, 2009 AT 12:40 PM

Welcome, thanks for the donation, as far as the blower motor, can you tell what speed is blowing? There is a blower relay, my info says center rear of engine compartment, probably on the firewall. Does it still run with the hvac controls turned off?

Voltage for high speed is hot all the time, but, continuity only when relay is energized. When the relay is not energized, there is continuity for the lower speeds. Voltage for coil side of relay comes from the hvac control. Voltage to the control assembly goes hot when you turn the key on. If the hvac is turned off, even if there is voltage shouldn't matter? No continuity till you turn on controls.

I didn't think to look at power windows. That circuit may go hot when you turn on the key, but, even if the circuit stays hot, as long as the windows aren't being operated, nothing happens. You may have more than one problem?
Sunday, November 8th, 2009 AT 1:33 PM
DUCK7264
Ok the blower fan cuts off if I turn the hvac controls to the off position. I have it set on the highest setting, but the windows still work even if have the hvac controls off. If it does'nt matter if they work or not why is my battery draining this? I thought that maybe it was a "constant hot" even if they were in the off position. Also, when the ignition is turned all the way back everything cuts "off" then, but you can't get the key out.
Sunday, November 8th, 2009 AT 3:50 PM
Hi, I thought the blower motor was draining the battery, you said it ran all the time? The power windows only use voltage when you hit the switch. If you want to check feed circuits to and from the ignition switch, i'll help anyway I can.

With everything turned off, what is the amp draw, check at battery. Battery has a full charge and charging system is good?

Pull the power window circuit breaker, 30 amp, I believe, with the key turned off, use a testlite see if circuit is hot? Shouldn't be hot unless key is on. Also pull heater/ac fuse 20 amp, use testlite, everything turned off. That circuit should not be hot unless key is on. Those circuits get voltage from the same ignition circuit, orange wire, ignition switch.
Sunday, November 8th, 2009 AT 4:18 PM
DUCK7264
No I apologize. The fan motor runs when the controls are on, but you can turn the control to the "off" pos. And it will shut off. As far as the amp to the battery, I don't have a meter so. Sorry about any miscommunication.
Sunday, November 8th, 2009 AT 4:35 PM
I think I misunderstood, Those circuits shouldn't be hot unless the key is on. Your correct, I believe it is the ignition switch. Have a good day
Monday, November 9th, 2009 AT 8:16 AM