1996 Chevy Blazer Push button 4WD not working

TRUCKING DAD
  • 1996 CHEVROLET BLAZER
I have a 1996 chevy blazer with push button 4wd the front axles are locking in but when I push the button for 4wd the 4wd light flashes and the transfer case doesn't lock in. Any suggestions?
Wednesday, December 9th, 2009 AT 4:37 PM

TUNEUP1200
You will need: small screwdriver, q-tips, and rubbing alcohol.
Pop out the 4WD button assembly from the dash. Unplug the the two wire connectors. Hold the button assembly in your hand face down. Make sure you are in a place that, if you were to drop something small you can find it easily, but lets just hope you're careful. With a small screwdriver, pry the back of the assembly from the front. Remember to keep the face down in your hands at all times. You see those blue boots with metal contacts on them? These are the things that will fall out easily. Take your time, remember where these boots are located they will pop out easily. In fact, have someone handy with a camera to take a picture of it before going further. Now with a q-tip dipped in alcohol gently clean the metal contacts in the blue boots. Then, with the q-tip and alcohol, clean the whole face of the board that the blue boots come in contact with, paying close attention to the white circle patterns on the board. They may not look dirty but it doesnt take much to make this assembly act nutty. When done cleaning and parts a fully dry, re-assemble and give it a try.
Thursday, December 10th, 2009 AT 10:57 AM
2000GMC43
I have a 2000 gmc jimmy(almost the same truck) with the same thing happening. Have any ideas?
Thursday, December 10th, 2009 AT 11:10 AM