2004 CHEVY AVEO REAR BRAKES AND WHEEL BEARINGS

• mtcilley
  • 2004 Chevrolet Aveo

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
2004 Chevy Aveo

While changing brake shoes and pads (I have changed these before on this car and many others) I ran into a problem with the right (passenger) side rear brakes and bearing.
The wheel bearing came out as two pieces - two tapered roller bearings and the race is still inside the drum.
It appears that the two bearings (inner and outer) were connected together with a small ring/band between them and the whole bearing and race unit was sealed as an assembly and then was pressed into the drum and secured with a lock ring.
My Question is:
1- AM I CORRECT SO FAR? THAT THE BEARING IS ONE SEALED UNIT? Not five seperate pieces- two seperate bearings, two seals and one two-sided race.

2- WOULD A NEW DRUM HAVE THE BEARING ALLREADY PRESSED IN?
I am having difficulty finding new bearings (NAPA, CarQuest, AutoZone don't even list these parts for this car) I will probably have to check with the chevy dealer.

3- WHAT WOULD BE THE EASIEST WAY OF REMOVING THE RACE FROM THE DRUM IF I DO FIND NEW BEARINGS?
I do have a small shop press, I could try pressing it out.

Any suggestions? This is my wifes car and we need it asap.

Thursday, July 23rd, 2009 AT 12:07 PM