2003 Chevy Avalanche Won't start after stalling

MARK SPENCER
  • 2003 CHEVROLET AVALANCHE
My Avalanche stalled at a red light, I tried to restart it but it will not do anything except sputter a little. I had the truck towed home and check the obvious problems. The seems to fuel at injectors. I traced the fuel line and found a check connection and there was fuel there. For the last several months it has been ideling at 500 RPM when stopped at a light and I have noticed the RPM wavering somewhat usually 100 - 200 RPM but it would always return to 500 RPM. I recently changed the fuel filter (last 6 months). When driving at highway speeds there is no loss of power.
Tuesday, March 30th, 2010 AT 6:38 PM

JACK42
How much fuel is present. You will need to check this with a mechanical gauge. Depending on theengine (8th digit of the vin #) the pressure should be 55-62 psi for all engines except "Z" and 48-52 for the "Z" engine code. You are at the mileage when GM pumps usually give up, so check this first
-1
Wednesday, March 31st, 2010 AT 8:05 AM
MARK SPENCER
I'm not getting fuel to the injectors, and after checking my pump there is no pressure or fuel. I am fairly well mechnically inclined so would changing the fuel pump something I could do in my drive? I'm assuming the tank is held on by two straps, not sure what happens when I drop the tank. Any hints on what to expect and what to watch out for?
Wednesday, March 31st, 2010 AT 6:30 PM
MARK SPENCER
Wednesday, March 31st, 2010 AT 6:31 PM
JACK42
Fuel weighs 6 lbs per gallon, so if you dont siphon the tank out, be aware of the weight. It is something that you can do in the driveway, butif you can enlist someone to help balance thetank it will be very helpful. The lines attach at the top of thetank unit, you will need a release tool to get them off, they are available at any auto parts store.I strongly advise you use an A/C Delco pump.I have seen too many aftermarkets have issues and have to be removed and repalced with a high quality unit.
Wednesday, March 31st, 2010 AT 8:23 PM