2002 Chevy Astro AC SPORADIC OPERATION

JDAUG0125
  • 2002 CHEVROLET ASTRO
Air Conditioning problem
2002 Chevy Astro Two Wheel Drive Automatic 81529 miles

Front AC works sporadically. Front AC MAX Fan and MAX cold trickles cold air sometimes and sometimes doesn't come on at all. Rear AC MAX Fan works constantly with a steady stream of lukewarm air. Followed directions in Haynes but still no positive results. Freon charge was 35lbs. Recharging freon with 134A to 37lbs did nothing. Both the front and rear accumulater are cold to the touch but the evaporator inlet pipe is warm/hot.
Saturday, June 20th, 2009 AT 1:59 PM

DOCFIXIT
Hi
Was there a failure in system previously? Could you provide high side reading? It is possible that debris in system has blocked orifice tube and rear expavsion valve.
Let me know
Thanks for donate
Sunday, June 21st, 2009 AT 12:31 PM
JDAUG0125
A/C has never been serviced, however A/C (and heater) have been sporadic for a few months. My guage only fits low pressure port, high pressure port is a different size. Additional info, when vehicle reaches operating temp (210 F) and I engage the A/C, both front and rear accumulators ice up but the evaporator inlet pipe remains warm. When compressor kicks on, ice on accumulators melts and pressure rises to about 40lbs. When compressor turns off, pressure drops to about 25lbs and accumulators freeze up. Thanks for any and all help you can give me. I am about to drive across country after retiring from the military and it's going to be hot in Oklahoma, Texas, Arizona, etc.

Jerry
Sunday, June 21st, 2009 AT 2:44 PM
DOCFIXIT
Without high side hard to say for sure but for low side to go up and ice on accumulator leads to the logical conclusion orifice tube blocked as well as expansion.
Sunday, June 21st, 2009 AT 2:52 PM
JDAUG0125
Is this something that I can fix myself or should I go to a professional? Trying to avoid added expense.
Sunday, June 21st, 2009 AT 3:05 PM
DOCFIXIT
Orfice tube needs special tool to remove located in evaporator where high side line attaches. Expansion valve on inlet side of rear evaporator couple whenches takes it off. Would start with orfice tube as it is easy to see if debris is problem. Parts house should have tool needed.
Sunday, June 21st, 2009 AT 3:10 PM
JDAUG0125
Don't want to sound like an idiot but don't I need to have the system discharged by a professional prior to checking the orifice tube? This doesn't sound like something I can do myself.
Sunday, June 21st, 2009 AT 3:41 PM
DOCFIXIT
That would be the acceptable way not releasing 134 into atmosphere. And using a profesional maybe the way to go cause there a chance evaporator can be damaged if orfice not properly handled.
Sunday, June 21st, 2009 AT 3:50 PM
JDAUG0125
Not to be rude, but wasn't that what I asked on my previous post."Is this something that I can fix myself or should I go to a professional?" If I hadn't read in Haynes about discharging the system prior to checking the orifice tube screen, who knows what could have happened. Your post at 12:10 to my previous post said nothing about discharging the system. You only said I needed a special tool and that a parts house should have it. Thanks for the information that you provided but I probably could have had a free A/C check at a local shop and gotten the same info.
Sunday, June 21st, 2009 AT 4:24 PM
DOCFIXIT
I don'tknow your capibilities you had gague readings and appeared to have somwe knowledge. Most people on site are DIY assumed you where the same.
It never occured that I needed to tell someone system needs discharge before opening up. It's shut water off before replacing fauset washers.
Sorry just trying to help
Monday, June 22nd, 2009 AT 11:12 AM
JACK42
Sounds like Doc is correct with some kind of restriction in the system. We never know the abilities of the people posting in here, so it is hard to know what anyone is capable of. Evacuating/charging the system is something that you can have a shop do, then replace the parts yourself to save money. It is also difficult to accuratly diagnose an a/c problem without high-side readings, that is where the magic happens and it is critical to proper operation. If you haev anymore questions, feel free to email me @ jackson@2carpros. Com
Monday, June 22nd, 2009 AT 11:56 AM