1998 Chevy Astro gas tank removal

TENNHOOSIER
  • 1998 CHEVROLET ASTRO
Any short cuts in removing the gas tank for pump replacement
Thursday, May 28th, 2009 AT 11:18 AM

TECHMAN1
There are quite a few shortcuts. I don't want to tell you how many times I have done this job.

OK, now every job like this is different. So what worked on one Astro may not work on all.

You don't have to disturb the fuel inlet cap behind the gas filler cover. You can, after you do other stuff, flex the filler hose out of the gas tank.

You want to jack up the vehicle in the back up high. You want to only undo the straps on the center side or on only on one side of the fuel tank.

You want to get concrete or wooden blocks and only drop the fuel tank about 4 inches. If you drop the tank all at once, you will shear the plastic nozzle neck connectors on the fuel pump.

You have to make all of your disconnections at this point (3 of them I think).

Use a small floor jack and a 2 foot square piece of wood to slowly lower the tank.

Then I use the floor jack to gradually let it down onto the blocks and then 4x4 wooden blocks and then down onto 2x4 blocks and finally onto the ground.

You are going to encounter unintended problems with this job. You cannot pull off and reuse the plastic high pressure fuel lines.

You have to get a new or junkyard fuel pump with the plastic fuel lines already connected.

Here is the fix. You have to find a Parker Hydraulics dealer. They sell a fitting called an "air brake fitting". The only difference between a compression fitting and an air brake fitting is that an air brake fitting has a solid center stem. You only have to drill out the plastic neck fittings on the fuel pump a 64th of an inch and the air brake fitting will go in and grab.

I have done 4 of these.

I don't like it when you ask a question about how to do something when you did not tell me the problem symptoms where I could possibly eliminate other causes.

Good luck, this job is less than favorable. (The website limits my use of adjitives.)

Email me if you have other problems or questions.
+1
Friday, May 29th, 2009 AT 10:10 PM