1997 Chevy Astro Won't start

MUGZY
  • 1997 CHEVROLET ASTRO
  • AWD
Although I did run but hard to start when hot, I had a cam position sensor code so I replaced the cam sensor and no it won't start. I put the old one back and it still won't start. I went and got another cam sensor still nothing. The engine fuse for that circut keeps blowing. I traced it to a shorted heated O2 sensor and replaced it the fuse no longer blows but he ignition relay gets warm very quickly. Replace ignition switch, coil, moduel, map sensor, throttle position sensor, computor ad still no start. This all started will I was cranking to line up the open notch in the destributor to remove the cam sensor. I pulled the whole engine harness and found nothing wrong?
Friday, August 6th, 2010 AT 11:54 AM

I didn't see ignition relay? Which fuse was blowing? Do you see anything in the picture that you recognize? OK, I did find a upfitter ignition relay, not sure what circuits that controls, unless trailer wiring harness?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/170934_astro_relay_center_underhood_1.jpg

Friday, August 6th, 2010 AT 1:02 PM
MUGZY
It's the one labeled Eng-1 that has the camshaft, o2, egr, ect. So far the drivers side O2 sensor tested dead short in every wire, and prior to this the code scanner called to change the cam, throttle, and map sensors. Plus an ohms test on the crank sensor show to be week but still able to opperate but I just went and changed it any way. It has an alarm system on it so I just swapped out the ignition switch to by pass all the alarm circuts. I have plenty of fuel pressure ands a noid test on the injector system showed all are flashing. It's like the PCM/VCM what ever you wonna call it won't sink in timing and fuel. When I stop cranking it some times diesels about 1 revoloution. Some how it sounds like it's firing 180 degrees of timing but the destributor was never removed and there is no play at all on my timing gears. I am a certified mechanic with 12 years under my belt and never have a vehicle kick my but like this one. There has never been a vehicle I couldn't fix but this one has just broke my record. I've never been to proud to ask my friends in the bussiness for advice, this time their all stumped. So in short I'm getting fuel and spark to the cylinder but not at the right time. Starting fluid won't work either but it does stop the dieseling after I spray. The relay getting warm when sitting was the ignition switch was turned too far back to accessory so that one is solved. I never change parts unless I know for sure it's bad or faulty. If questionable I take the old part to the part store with me and ohms test it up against two new ones to be sure. If the values don't match or a at least close I change it. I just walk away from it for a day to get my head cleared and start fresh tommorow. One thing for sure is I no longer have a wirng short and there are no more codes on the scanner, out of all the old sensors the only one the scanner picks up as bad when placed back on the engine is the throttle position sensor. Apparently it won't read the rest unless it's running. Did I leave anything out?
Saturday, August 7th, 2010 AT 5:37 PM
Sounds like your way ahead of me. Is there any compression? How do you know gas is getting into the cylinder? Does this have the spider fuel system? Are the plugs wet?
Sunday, August 8th, 2010 AT 8:40 AM