Check engine light stays on

GOSWICKC
  • 2003 ACURA TL
The maintenance required light comes on when I start my car but then goes out. The check engine light comes on when I crank the car and stays on while driving. My car slows down sometimes while I am driving and when I press the accelerator it will hesitate and/or stop going. Then I pull over and stop and turn ignition off and right back on and put it in drive and it will not move. So I turn ignition off and wait four or five minutes and start the car again and it will go down the road for a few miles and start doing the same thing all over again. The TCS light comes on sometimes when driving but goes back off in a few minutes. Can you please tell me what the problem might be. Also, will it cause damage to keep driving it? I would to get it to a mechanic but I am not sure if it will make it there.
Thursday, October 27th, 2016 AT 7:14 PM

Have it scanned for codes auto parts does for free then get back to us with the code number.
+1
Friday, October 28th, 2016 AT 7:26 AM
GOSWICKC
Thank you! I took my car to O'Reilly's for a diagnostic scan. It gave the following codes:
PO740 - torque convertor
PO706 - transmission range sensor
PO730 - torque convertor or shift
solenoid
PO700 - transmission fluid

The transmission fluid was checked, and it was 3/4 to no more than 1 quart low.
What is your advice?
Thursday, November 3rd, 2016 AT 5:48 PM
Have a trans guy look at this it may be time to rebuild the transmission or at least the torque converter may be bad.
+1
Friday, November 4th, 2016 AT 6:56 AM
GOSWICKC
The trans guy is located a long distance from me. So I had a regular mechanic to do a diagnostic scan since he is close by. It revealed the following codes:
PO730 - Hydraulic solenoid
PO740 - Torque convertor
Friday, November 4th, 2016 AT 9:03 AM
Ya but the mechanic probably doesn't know transmissions that well like most of us that is why I said to have a trans guy look at it so he can check pressures if needed or go by experience on what is causing the problem.
+2
Friday, November 4th, 2016 AT 9:33 AM
You could replace the solenoid and have the same problem that is why I send people to transmission shops when they run into a condition like yours. As trans shop guys know these things a lot better than us mechanics.
+1
Friday, November 4th, 2016 AT 9:34 AM
GOSWICKC
Ok. Thanks! So are the codes from the big diagnostic scanner correct? Do these codes mean anything to the trans guys?
Friday, November 4th, 2016 AT 9:44 AM
Yes they are good and the trans guys should know what to do
+1
Friday, November 4th, 2016 AT 12:18 PM
GOSWICKC
Thank you guys for your help! What type of pressures are you referring to for the trans guy to check? Would the transmission fluid being 3/4 to 1 quart low have anything to do with getting the codes PO730 and PO740?
Wednesday, February 15th, 2017 AT 12:57 PM
The low fluid could or it could also be the converter going bad.
+1
Wednesday, February 15th, 2017 AT 3:23 PM
GOSWICKC
Ok, thank you! What kind of pressures are you talking about that the trans guy would check?
Thursday, February 16th, 2017 AT 12:05 PM
He would check line pressure and or pressure for different applications of trans like accumulator or clutch application. Also because of dealing with transmissions on a daily basis could probably tell you what is specifically wrong with it as most mechanics like me don't do a lot of auto trans work due to so many other things that go wrong with a car that we have to fix.
+1
Thursday, February 16th, 2017 AT 12:09 PM
GOSWICKC
Ok, thank you guys so much! You have been very helpful!
Thursday, February 16th, 2017 AT 6:23 PM
KEN
Please let us know what you find so it will help others.

Best, Ken
Sunday, February 19th, 2017 AT 3:04 PM