Check engine and gas cap light, fluctuation in idle.

THAD2000
  • 2002 FORD ESCORT
I was receiving a p171 (I believe that was the code) saying that I had a lean fuel condition. It was stalling out at idle and generally running bad. I replaced the maf sensor and it definitely ran better, but the light came back on and it was still a little erratic.
I checked the codes and the same ones came back again. It was the check engine and check gas cap light.
I'm on a budget and. Don't want to waste money. My friend is insistent about cleaning the air intake valve saying that's the problem. I also have a valve cover gasket that I was planning on replacing. Could either of those two things (which would cost nothing to try) be the cause of the codes coming back? Also, I've looked for vacuum leaks and found none, are there other situations or tests I can run or things I can look for that might cause those codes and symptoms?
Tuesday, February 23rd, 2016 AT 1:20 PM

How long since a tune-up? I realize tune-up parts aren't free, but, that tune-up money isn't wasted. 02 sensors are part of a tune-up. Certainly, check and clean anything that has to do with idle air system.
Use a gage and check proper fuel pressure.
The basics for a rough idle, check for a leak of some kind, fuel--egr--vacuum, something of that nature.
Tuesday, February 23rd, 2016 AT 1:49 PM