CAR WON'T START AFTER DRIVING, THEN STARTS AFTER SEVERAL HOURS

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee

LTatum

July, 21, 2013 AT 2:51 PM

The car won't start after driving. If I wait a few hours it starts up again. When I replaced the coil it started right up the the same thing happened. I have also replaced the coil wire with ot any luck. I am going to change the rotor, cap and spark plugs and wires. I have tried had te fuel pump checked and it's fine. Any suggestions?

caradiodoc

July, 21, 2013 AT 3:01 PM

None of the parts you mentioned will cause this symptom. You know all the spark plugs didn't fail at once, then magically start working again when they cool down. Start by checking the diagnostic fault codes. You can do that yourself by going here:

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/retrieve-trouble-codes-for-chrysler-dodge-plymouth-odb1-1995-and-earlier-car-mini-van-and-light-trucks

The most common cause of this is a failing crankshaft position sensor or camshaft position sensor, depending on which engine you have. They commonly fail by becoming heat-sensitive, then they work again when they cool down. You can verify that by checking for spark when the no-start is occurring. If it's missing, the next step is to determine if the automatic shutdown (ASD) relay is turning on. I can help with that.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Pressure Test