Car wont dies even after engine/ignition turn off

BALAKRISHKRISHNA
  • 1992 CHEVROLET CORSICA
My car is not shutting down immediately after I turn off the engine. It is taking around 10 to 50 seconds to tun off after I turn off and remove the key.

Mobile mechanic came to fix over heating of the engine and he directly supplied the power to engine/radiotor fan by passing the sensor to run the fan. As a result fan will turn on once I start the car irrespective of engine heat. The above mentioned problem is coming after mechanic change the fan fuctionality
Friday, July 26th, 2013 AT 9:59 AM

The radiator fan is the problem. When you turn the ignition switch off the fan is still spinning. A spinning motor IS a generator and it is what is supplying the current that keeps the engine running until it slows down. You can prove that to yourself by unplugging the fan right after you turn off the ignition switch or by throwing a rag into it to stop it. The engine will stop running the instant the fan motor stops spinning.
Friday, July 26th, 2013 AT 10:26 AM
BALAKRISHKRISHNA
Hi

Thanks for quick response, the problem is occurring only 50% to 60% of the times when I go for drive. (It is not occurring every time). So what will be solution? Do you want me to reset the power supply to fan back to original settingd as it is earlier before Autozone referred mechanic fix?
Friday, July 26th, 2013 AT 11:03 AM
Yup. The fan can not be wired to run directly whenever the ignition switch is on because once you turn the ignition switch off, the fan is still spinning and it acts like a generator. That is where the power is coming from that keeps the engine's ignition system and fuel pump powered up.

The original fan circuit is not that complicated and should be easy to fix properly if there is something wrong with it. If the fix is expensive and you still want the fan to run whenever the ignition switch is on you would have to do that through a relay. That relay would turn off and that would prevent the fan motor from acting like a generator. Your car should have a fan relay already. What some people do is run the relay's ground wire to a switch inside the car so they can turn it on only when the fan is needed.
Friday, July 26th, 2013 AT 11:45 AM