No crank and no start

ABRUSNAHAN
  • 2008 TOYOTA COROLLA
Background: I removed an aftermarket remote start system the day before yesterday. Started and drove fine all day. The next day, I installed an amp and sub-woofer. Would not start. To be fair though, I had not driven the car all day so it may not have started before I installed the sub-woofer.

When I turn the key all the way, there is no clicking. Just silence. All the electronics work (lights, windows, radio, and even the sub-woofer). I did notice that when the key is turned to the 2nd position, the check engine light is not flashing or illuminated. Aren't all the indicator lights supposed to light up or flash?

I decided to try scan the car with a code reader. The code reader turned on and attempted to scan, but took forever and finally gave me a "linking error." I am assuming this has something to do with the check engine light not being illuminated. What controls those two things? The ECM?

I checked all the fuses under the dash and in the hood and they all look fine. I cleaned the connections on the battery and checked the water levels and that seems fine. Even tried jumping it and that didn't work.

I thought maybe I interfered with the security system when I removed the remote start, but that doesn't explain how I was able to drive the car the entire day after removing it. The security light blinks when the key is not inserted. When the key is inserted it doesn't blink. I am pretty sure that is what it is supposed to do.

So I'm at a loss here. What do I do?
Wednesday, March 22nd, 2017 AT 6:15 AM

There is already a security system on this car so no need for an aftermarket one. try a security reset as it sure sounds like it.see link.
https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-reset-a-security-system
Wednesday, March 22nd, 2017 AT 7:29 AM
ABRUSNAHAN
I did not install an aftermarket security system. I had a remote start installed that I recently uninstalled. I am pretty sure the security system is fine. That also would not explain why the check engine light does not illuminate when the key is turned to the 2nd position, would it?
Wednesday, March 22nd, 2017 AT 7:35 AM
Well security systems are funny they will sometimes engage for no apparent reason and other times not. If you have a plug in that goes into the ALDL (where they scan for codes) those screw up computers as well so remove it. But just because a check engine light does not come on I do not think security would do it. But try it anyhow. If you are talking about where the key is turned to start the light won't come on normally.
Wednesday, March 22nd, 2017 AT 8:09 AM
ABRUSNAHAN
I got underneath the steering column and touched the white and red wires together which cause it to crank, but it still wouldn't start. I tried turning the key while doing this and it started for a split second but immediately cut off.
Wednesday, March 22nd, 2017 AT 10:58 AM
Have you tried what I sent in ver first reply?
Wednesday, March 22nd, 2017 AT 11:55 AM