Starter not working

ERNIEG310
  • 1992 DODGE DAKOTA
  • RWD

First off changed brakes decided 2 change 02 sensor didn't take off battery when I did I replaced it but don't know if anything fried like the pcm. When all the problems started car wouldn't start but would crank. Changed fuel pump and distributor cap and wires all spark plugs including solenoid connected with those. Then the ignition switch and lock cylinder bust so I replaced those had battery posts and wires cleaned but ever since ignition switch and cylinder change the key turns forward with dead silence. Car has power radio etc. Ran the obd codes with ignition and got codes 37 and 45. Other than 12 and 55 im more focused on the others but having trouble finding the locations of these if there is a site u can maybe recommend or advice I would highly appreciate it.

Tuesday, May 16th, 2017 AT 8:51 PM

2CARPROS KEN

It sounds like the start motor had gone out. Here is a guide that will show you how to test it (bottom).

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-a-starter-motor

Please run this test and get back to us so we can continue helping you.

Cheers, Ken

Friday, May 19th, 2017 AT 12:14 PM
FSUHATER11
  • 1999 DODGE DAKOTA

I have a 1999 dodge dakota sport truck and sometimes when I turn it on the starter fuse blows. The first time it went we go a new starter and then the fuse blew again. So we toke the starter off and put it back on and put a new fuse in and it worked for a few months. Now I want to know what is wrong with my truck. Plz help

Friday, May 19th, 2017 AT 1:34 PM (Merged)

Which fuse is blowing? There's two 40 amp fuses in the starter circuit. There's four fuses in a row, fuse 10 is at the end of the row, and fuse 9 is next to it, the second from the end.

FSUHATER11

It is fuse 8 that is blowing40 amp ign sw/ starter

Fuse 8 is also a 40 amp but it's for the anti-lock brakes. I suspect you're reading from the other end of the row. Fuse 7 is a 50 amp. Fuse 9 is in the middle of three 40 amp fuses. 10 is next to the bolted-in alternator fuse and will be closest to the side of the truck.

Unless you tell me different, I'm going with fuse 9. That one feeds fuses 2, 3, 7, 18, and circuit breaker 20 inside the truck. If the short is on any of those circuits, that fuse should be the one that's blowing. That doesn't leave much. It's possible the 12 gauge black / orange wire leaving the ignition switch is grounded, but it's more likely the switch itself is shorted. Start by popping the trim covers off the steering column so you can look at the switch and electrical connector. Look for melted areas in the plug, overheated terminals, or two wires melted together.

If you don't see any problem there, leave that blown fuse out, then test for voltage on the 12 gauge pink / black wire. That will verify we're on the right circuit. If you find voltage there, we'll have to figure out which circuit really has the problem. Holler back with what you find.

FSUHATER11

Just to clarify, on the sticker inside the lid of the fuses, reading from top to bottom, fuse 7 is 40 amp ING SW, fuse 8 is 40 amp ING SW/ starter, fuse 9 is 40 amp ABS pump, and fuse 10 is 50 amp park & interior lamp.

It's rather late where I live, so I'll have to give what you said a try in the morning.

Okay, that's backwards from the service manual. It's more likely my manual is wrong. That's pretty common. Since the wiring diagrams are so poor, it might be easier if you just measure the voltages on each wire in the ignition switch connector. First record each voltage with the switch turned off, then record them with the ignition switch in the run position. Leave that blown fuse out.

CANTGETRIGHT
  • 1998 DODGE DAKOTA

1998 Dodge Dakota 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 235000 miles

when turn key over, the starter engages and disengages for a second, then will not turn over long enough to start the truck. We have checked all wires and everything is connected and working. Have checked starter and working properly when off the truck. New starter(2 weeks old). What could be the problem. Will sometimes crank when motor is cold but not when motor has heated up.

Welcome to the forum, check the circuits at the starter relay in the power distribution center. Voltage to load side of relay is hot all the time, voltage to coil side of relay goes hot with key in the start position. When the problem occurs, did you try cranking in neutral?

MOPARDUDE
  • 1997 DODGE DAKOTA

1997 Dodge Dakota 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

this truck has the 3.9L v-6
whenever I got to try and start it the starter gear that catches the motor gear wont pop out of the starter. It just sits inside and spins, it deosnt "pop out" and turn over the motor.

Can't happen! Well, ok; let me explain. :)

There is a pair of heavy switch contacts that turn on the starter motor when the solenoid is engaged. The solenoid also pushes the drive gear of which you refer to engage the ring gear on the flywheel or torque converter. There are three possible problems.

Since the motor is spinning, the solenoid had to push the drive gear out, but it might not have gone far enough to reach the ring gear teeth. The fix is to remove the starter, (you might not need to take the wires off, but disconnect the battery negative cable to prevent exciting sparks! Check the shaft that the gear slides on for rust or hardened grease. Clean it up with brake parts or carburetor cleaner, then lubricate it with a light grease or heavy oil. This problem is often more severe in colder temperatures or when the engine is cold.

There could be some damaged teeth on the ring gear. If the starter does not engage multiple times, try turning the engine a little bit by tugging on the serpentine belt. Turn it clockwise as you're viewing it from the front. That's the normal direction of rotation, so you'll be past a possible bad spot. If this works, suspect chewed up teeth on the ring gear. You'll need to remove the starter or the transmission inspection cover to look at the teeth. If a few teeth are chipped on the front edge, the sticking starter drive gear could have caused this condition. The only repair is to either replace the torque converter or flywheel, or to cut the welds holding the ring gear on, heating it with a torch to expand it, then turning it around, heating it again to reinstall it, and re-welding it.

The third possibility is a defective over-running clutch in the starter's drive gear. This used to be a common problem on GMs Fords and Chryslers decades ago, but I really haven't seen it for many years.

First, see if you can figure out if it starts better when the engine is warm. If so, try cleaning and lubricating the starter shaft / drive gear.

BIOMED
  • 2002 DODGE DAKOTA

2002 Dodge Dakota V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 55000 miles

STARTER SWITCH has went bad. Will not turn over. Just makes the ignition bell come on. How do you put this in? Can it be done at home?

Hi:

Have you tried to start the vehicle in neutral? Sometimes the neutral safety switch goes bad, and the vehicle will only start in neutral not park.

If that isn't the case, I recommend you take the vehicle to a certified mechanic. The vehicle has an airbag in the steering wheel which could be set off if you don't know what you are doing. The steering wheel will need to be removed.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

TYLERHAT
  • 1999 DODGE DAKOTA

My Truck is burning the starter fuse every time. I've been able to get it to start by putting a metal washer in place of the fuse but now it seems that isn't working anymore.

Check to see what has burnt up since yo put a direct wire in it. The starter may have been drawing to many amps or there is a short someplace in the wiring. You are very lucky you didn't catch your truck on fire

BIOMED
  • 2002 DODGE DAKOTA

Mine has went bad. Will not turn over. Just makes the ignition bell come on. How do you put this in? Can it be done at home?

Friday, May 19th, 2017 AT 1:35 PM (Merged)

Hi:
I would recommend that you have someone who is qualified complete this task. If you are not trained with working with air bags, you could get yourself in trouble.

I would check battery and fuses
check battery terminals
clean and tighten
try and get a jump if start check charging system and alternator

need manual CHECK IT @
http://www.2carpros.com/kpages/auto_repair_manuals.htm

• 1994 DODGE DAKOTA

Can I interchange the starter on my 94 dodge dakota with a 98 dodge dakota?

Yup. Chrysler has been famous for decades for making a lot of parts interchange. It's one of the first reasons I fell in love with them. GM is exactly the opposite. They can't even make Camaro and a Firebird take the same oil filter.