Car veering on its own while I drive

I just got off the highway and driving home on the streets when all of a sudden my steering wheel veered on its own to my right. I could not control it. It was veering into the next lane.

Second issue for a couple months now, not always but it seems like my tires are bucking or even skipping its rotations. It is hard for me to explain it as I am a woman and this is the best I can do to explain.

My husband passed and he took care of these things. I try to read up on things and so far any repairs I have had it done and not too expensive.

But I am scared when it just veered to the side. Please help me.

Saturday, January 21st, 2017 AT 11:36 PM

First, I am very sorry for your loss.

From the description it sounds like a wheel bearing or axle half shaft failure on the right side. Hard to say which as both could cause the problem as they fail. I would lean more toward the half shaft (specifically the constant velocity joint) as the problem. Mainly because you did not mention having an issue with steering wandering. You could jack up the right front and rotate the tire, then grab it at the top and bottom and rock it, any play is an issue. Now look inside the suspension and you will see the front axle. It will have a rubber boot at each end. Rotate the tire and look for a torn boot or other damage. Grab the axle and try to move it up/down and forward/back. Movement there is also not good.
video showing the process (don't need to do the OBD test)

These will show some of the information on replacement.

If you are in a rust belt state (one that salts the roads) it can be much harder due to rusted parts. (This is a Chevy but the process is the same as on most vehicles)

If it is the axle shaft that is the issue these shows that process.

There is a third option as well. That would be a cracked or broken brake rotor. That can look like these
This type of problem will be easily seen by jacking up the front and removing the tire.

If you decide this is more than you want to deal with and take it to a shop you will at least have a better understanding of what the issues could be.

Sunday, January 22nd, 2017 AT 2:46 AM