Car stopped

HBHP00
  • 2005 BUICK CENTURY
I was driving out of a parking lot and the car just stopped. I tried to turn it back on, but it won't turn over.
Wednesday, April 19th, 2017 AT 11:11 AM

We need some test results or observations to analyze, otherwise this is like calling your doctor and telling him you don't feel well. You know there's going to be a lot of questions involved.

I DID run into a GM front-wheel-drive car a few years ago that stopped just like you described, right in the middle of an intersection. I saw when the owner tried to start the engine, that the generator pulley was locked up and the belt was slipping over it. That generator was run by its own small belt. I cut the belt off, then the engine started and ran fine. The generator not working meant she had about a half hour running on the battery alone to get to a repair shop, but at least she could drive the car.

That locked-up generator is only one possible cause of a stalled engine, and it is one of the least common causes. For yours I'd start by charging the battery at a slow rate for an hour or two, then see if the starter cranks the engine. If it does, drive the car to your mechanic and have the battery and the charging system tested. If you post the results for "full-load output current", "ripple voltage", and "charging voltage", I can interpret them for you.
Wednesday, April 19th, 2017 AT 2:48 PM