Car shifts into second then shuts off

MARTHE DUNCAN
  • 1994 DODGE INTREPID
When car shifts into second gear, the car stalls and shuts off. It does not want to crank until it cools down. Is it a speed sensor, or could be a fuel filter or fuel pump?
Thursday, April 27th, 2017 AT 6:03 PM

STEVE W.
Which engine do you have the 3.3 or the 3.5?

So your saying you can be driving along, The transmission shifts into second gear and the engine stalls. Then if you try to start it immediately it won't turn over? Or will not start? (Two different things) until it cools down.

More than likely not the pump or filter. They would cause a problem regardless of what gear the transmission is in.

Will it stall if you manually shift it into second?
What does it do if you get rolling in first, shift into neutral and then into drive?
Check engine light on?
Does it stall every time the trans shifts into second?

There was a recall on the 1994's about the transmission control harness rubbing through because it was hitting the right side tie rod. Might check that first.
Next the symptoms point to a crank sensor but before you just swap it out I would have a good scan tool put on it, there are codes that can be set that do not turn on the check engine light. Also, if this happens all the time the scan tool could be used to see what sensors are still working after the engine stalls.
Thursday, April 27th, 2017 AT 7:47 PM
MARTHE DUNCAN
Seems I asked the wrong question, so my husband said, what happens is the car goes into overdrive and then stalls (drops down into 2 ND gear and want shift back up ), he drops it in neutral, coast to 45 mph, then restarts it up to pick backup speed, it also doesn't want to crank when he first starts it up, like it's not getting enough fuel, has to turn it over 4 or 5 times, before it cranks, if the fuel pump (which is in the trunk) isn't sealed down completely (I know it's hard to get it to go in place)could that cause it to not run correctly?And half dash lights have went out so don't know if it's showing a check engine light or any thing, Thanks
Tuesday, May 2nd, 2017 AT 3:41 PM
KEN

If I can offer my two cents. It sounds like it could be a overdrive transmission solenoid that has shorted causing the computer to shut down. The computer cools and then it starts working again.

Here is a wiring diagram so you can do some checking. Use a volt meter and check the resistance of all solenoids to see if one is shorted, here is a guide to help you too.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-voltmeter

Please run some tests and get back to us so we can continue helping you.

Cheers, Ken
Friday, May 5th, 2017 AT 5:10 PM