Car shuts off after going over bumps

SABRINA OETTLE
  • 2008 CHEVROLET IMPALA
I was driving my car today and went over a few speed bumps after I got over the second one my car shut off completely, and would not restart. The radio and gear shift indicator on the dash (steering column shifter) came back on after putting the car in park and turning the key. All steering was completely lost when the car shut off. The car literally came to a halt mid drive. No warning no indicator lights, nothing. When I tried to restart it, sounded like it wanted to start but would not or could not. No weird clicking noise, just the sound of it trying to crank but just could not. I was lucky enough that people were outside and able to help me out to move the car from the middle of the road (was back in my mom's apartment complex) and was able to get a jump from the maintenance guy there to make it back home. After getting the jump the car started like nothing was wrong, and was able to make it home. Checked oil, trans. Fluid, power steering fluid, brake fluid, coolant all good. I hooked up my battery charger and left it for an hour or so and let it charge to 100. Waited until about seven or so and took it out to see if I could replicate the problem, and took a different route and sure enough I was able to replicate it. The codes we got from before the test drive to replicate problem were p011, p0442, p0445, p0496 (most of which through research seem to be fuel related). I have the Lt model v6.
Friday, April 14th, 2017 AT 10:11 PM

It sounds like the battery has shorted out and needs replacing there is a guide to confirm the failure.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-battery-load-test

Here will give you an idea on how to change it.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-a-car-battery

You mentioned the steering went out completely. When the engine stalls, the power steering pump stops running, and you will lose the power assist, that is all. There is always still a mechanical backup but it is going to take a lot of effort to turn the steering wheel. The greatest effort will always be when the car is standing still. In fact, some people are not strong enough to turn the steering wheel then, but that is hardly a safety concern when the car is not moving.

The faster the car is moving, the easier it will be to turn the steering wheel. At highway speeds you do not even need the power steering, and you would barely notice if it failed. Too may people think they have no steering at all if the engine stalls, then, when that day comes, they do not even try to avoid a crash.

There are two things you can do to get the diagnosis started for the stalling problem. The first is to follow the smaller battery positive wire to the under-hood fuse box. Be sure that connection is clean and tight. That connection causes a lot of problems on all brands of cars.

Second, have the charging system tested by checking out tis guide

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-alternator

As a guess, based only on the age of your car, the typical generator is rated at around ninety amps. If the full-load test shows it can only develop exactly one third of that, or around thirty amps, it has one defective internal diode of the six. That can cause or aggravate the symptoms you described, but there's more to the story. Since GM redesigned their generators for the 1987 model year, they have a real lot of generator failures caused by the huge voltage spikes they develop.

The battery is the key component in damping and absorbing those spikes, but they lose their ability to do that as they age and the lead flakes off the plates. If testing proves the generator needs to be replaced, always replace the battery on GM vehicles at the same time unless it is less than about two years old. That will reduce the high number of repeat generator failures.

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers
Friday, April 14th, 2017 AT 11:48 PM
SABRINA OETTLE
1). The alternator was tested and was fine, and 2). And I know I said lost all steering a monkey would know that meant I was unable to turn the wheel without using force. Seeing as how I am a girl. I am just trying to get some ideas as to possible causes.
Saturday, April 15th, 2017 AT 5:55 AM
Im am sorry if I seemed disrespectful I didn't mean it. I would put my money on the battery being bad or a bad connection.
Sunday, April 16th, 2017 AT 12:08 AM