Theft System Problem

PAULINGEORGIA
  • 1996 CADILLAC SEVILLE
I just bought a 96 Cadillac Seville STS. The seller said all it needed was a new battery and to have the computer reset. I replaced the battery and it cranked up but it died after a few seconds. Then a mechanic told me that I needed to replace the ignition switch and key because a wire inside was broken. I had that replaced and the car started and ran great, other than the Theft Problem Message. And no radio, AC, fuel or temp gauge ect. When I got it home I started it up multiple times in the driveway. But it still had the message saying " Theft System Problem. " so put the key in accessory position and I waited awhile.I was told to wait 10 mins. While waiting the radio came on and the AC lights were on but no air blowing and the fuel and trunk switches worked. Weird. I read that unhooking the battery for an hour would reset the computer so I tried that but now it started doing the same thing as before. Shutting down after a few seconds and won't run. Its very strange that some things start working then they stop working. I also tried to get codes by holding the off and warmer up but got nothing.

I bought the car at a large auction that has onsite mechanics. They first offered to deactivate the security system. I mentioned that I read online that the key switch may be the problem. They checked it and said that the wire was broken. He said he would go to a local GM dealer and get a new cylinder and key. After an hour or hour 1/2 he called me and said that the car was working, he had installed a new cylinder but that I would need to have the computer re-programed still. Everyone there was very helpful and seemed trustworthy but I was wondering if he installed the incorrect key/cylinder. Maybe the wrong pass key resistance. Not sure. Still not working today and no lights on the center console either. Just flashing on gear indicators and same message Theft System Problem Car May Not Start. I wouldn't mind just bypassing or deactivating the theft system. If its not to difficult.

how do I reset the computer?. Please help.I need to get this car working.
Thursday, April 17th, 2008 AT 9:59 AM

BUZZSAW
Did you get the theft system re-programed? If not Im surprised it starts at all with out that reprogram the theft system doesn't recognize the key. The system must be re-programed at the dealer for it to work right. There is a chip in the key which is now different.
+1
Friday, April 18th, 2008 AT 1:08 PM
PAULINGEORGIA
Hey Buzzsaw,
Thank You for the help. This car is crazy. I tried to put in the resistor to fool the theft system but I was getting the corect resistance that matched the key at the wire so I just reconnected the wires. When I tried to start it up. It was completely dead. I jumped it and it started and kept running. After letting the battery charge for awhile I cut it off. It started again. And again. And again. I still have the Theft system message, the radio, AC, trunk release and fuel door ect. Still dont work. I had popped the trunk with a key to check the fuses. But then it wouldnt shut.I then put the key in acc. Position for about 10 mins and the trunk release activated.I think it must have a bad computer in it. Would the theft system cause all these issues? I will prob. Just try to auction off the car in a few weeks. But I will continue to try to get tips to fix it before then. I really regret getting the car ; ;. Its a great looking car but it has a mind of its own :)
-1
Saturday, April 19th, 2008 AT 9:44 AM
BUZZSAW
I know when money is tight, but things need to be fixed right. Did you find the fuse panel in the trunk? And there is one under the hood also
-1
Monday, April 21st, 2008 AT 1:37 AM
PAULINGEORGIA
Hey buzzsaw,
yeah I found the fuse panels and cleaned the fuses. None of them were bad either. So I suppose the computer is bad because the theft system, radio, AC, fuel, temp ect dont work. The radio comes on sometimes even with the key out of the ign lol. It also must have a short because its draining the battery overnight. It seems like there are some major electrical probs with this car. Any advice. How much would it cost to overhaul the electrical system or install new computer. Im willing to fix it but I really dont want to spend alot more considering the milage on it. I would be lucky to get 2500-3000 for it even with it fixed :)
-1
Monday, April 21st, 2008 AT 10:43 AM
CHIEFOGAN
Hello Sir,

I am having the same problem. Can you tell me what you did to fix it?
-1
Wednesday, August 5th, 2015 AT 5:34 PM
KEN

Yes you must take the car to the dealer to have the key reprogrammed to make the car work.
Saturday, July 29th, 2017 AT 3:03 PM