2003 Cadillac Deville Windows are going crazy

CHERI63MI
  • 2003 CADILLAC DEVILLE
  • AWD
Help, my power windows are possessed. Last week I notced the rear passenger window wouldn't go down by the switch on the rear door, but still worked using the drivers door controls. Now, the front passenger door window won't go down from the door switch and it will go down using the drivers door switch for the drivers door window. They both go up and down at the same time. The rear drivers side window will sometimes work, but won't work from the door switch with the door open.
Saturday, August 28th, 2010 AT 2:21 PM

FACTORYJACK
For starters, it could be a logic issue with a door module. Try disconnecting the battery cables shorting them together for a minute or so. Reconnect them and see what works. The left rear window may have issues with a connection or wire in the pivot that may explain why it won't work with the door open.
-1
Saturday, August 28th, 2010 AT 2:59 PM
CHERI63MI
Do you mean to disconnect the cables and then reconnect? I'm not sure what the statement "shorting them together" means.
-1
Saturday, August 28th, 2010 AT 3:08 PM
FACTORYJACK
Disconnecting both, touching(shorting) them together for a minute or so. This discharges all capacitors.
-1
Monday, August 30th, 2010 AT 10:05 AM
FACTORYJACK
Did that make any sense, and have you tried it?
Wednesday, September 1st, 2010 AT 12:29 AM
CHERI63MI
Yes that worked. Thanks for the help!
+1
Wednesday, September 1st, 2010 AT 5:30 AM
FACTORYJACK
Just out of curiosity, did it also correct the window that only worked with the door closed?
Wednesday, September 1st, 2010 AT 9:05 PM
CHERI63MI
Lol I was so happy to have the windows open on their own switches we forgot to check. I'll check it tomorrow and reply back. Thanks
Wednesday, September 1st, 2010 AT 9:31 PM
FACTORYJACK
Still in suspense, are the windows operating correctly?
Tuesday, September 14th, 2010 AT 12:28 AM
CHERI63MI
My husband went out to check to see if the rear drivers side window would roll down with the door open, nope it wouldn't work. It did work when the door was closed. He closed the door to put the window up and now it won't go up at all. He had the key on to try and power the windows and now the car won't start, it just clicks. All the lights are dim and he thinks it is a dead battery, I have a feeling it is a short somewhere. Any suggestions?
-1
Tuesday, September 14th, 2010 AT 5:15 PM
CHERI63MI
After we did jumped the battery the car started. I had my husband slam the back drivers side door because the window still wouldn't go up. After he slammed it, I was able to put it up with the drivers controls for the rear window. I think we have a short somewhere in the line that runs through the bottem of that door.
Tuesday, September 14th, 2010 AT 7:48 PM
FACTORYJACK
That is why I was wondering. With your original symptom, that window specifically not functioning did not apply. What I have seen in the past, is wiring that has chaffed, or a poor connection from the body harness to that door harness. There is a connector just inside the pass through grommet, that I think you could access by removing the center pillar trim panel. Disconnect and check for any sign of heat damage, and that indicates a poor connection.
Tuesday, September 14th, 2010 AT 11:38 PM
CHERI63MI
Thank you so much for repeatedly asking me if it was completely fixed. Had you not done so, I probably wouldn't have found out something more was wrong until I ended up stranded or in the middle of winter with a window stuck down.
I'm going to have my husband check and we'll let you know what we find. We may end up taking it to someone, I don't think my husband if very comfortable doing anything electrical with that car lol I'll keep you posted on the results. Thanks again
Wednesday, September 15th, 2010 AT 6:05 AM
FACTORYJACK
Thank you.
Wednesday, September 15th, 2010 AT 10:11 AM