Theft system problem

SHALOAH
  • 1998 CADILLAC DEVILLE
Hi, Im having trouble with my 98 cadillac deville. One morning I got in my car and got the warning "theft system problem car may not restart" Iv replaced my key and lock. I do have a dead short that iv traced back to my comfort fuse in the rear hatch. Iv tried to pull codes several times but there's none to pull. It just reads pcm? Icm? And so forth. Wondering if I may have a pcm. Would that be causing the short back to my battery.
Friday, July 2nd, 2010 AT 2:52 PM

FACTORYJACK
The PCM would not relate to a short on the comfort fuse circuit. Is the fuse blowing, or the battery going dead? When you press and hold off and warmer, it should display any codes for each module, or no XXX codes if there are no codes in the respective module. When it says PCM, and you press fan up, it should select PCM, and fan down will scroll options like PCM override, PCM codes, PCM data, etc. Highlight PCM codes and press fan up again, it should display codes. Or, scroll to VTD codes, and perform the same procedure.
Friday, July 2nd, 2010 AT 9:42 PM
SHALOAH
The fuse dosnt blow it just runs the battery down. When I run the codes it just cycles through saying "no xxx codes" on all counts.
-1
Saturday, July 3rd, 2010 AT 10:29 AM
FACTORYJACK
So after you replaced the ignition lock and key, you have no theft message, it sounds like you have no codes, so your concern is a battery drain that goes away when the comfort fuse is removed?
Saturday, July 3rd, 2010 AT 12:56 PM
SHALOAH
The drain with the fuse started the same time the theft messages started. It starts for about 2 seconds and dies. I replaced the key and lock but it still does the same thing. It will start for a few seconds and die. The air and radio doesnt come on ither. I originaly tracked the drain to the Body 3 fuse on the forward fuse panel and then further to the comfort fuse in the rear. Also I have a slight drain from the pull down fuse in the rear compartment. All these problems started at the same time.
+1
Tuesday, July 6th, 2010 AT 1:12 PM
FACTORYJACK
You mention drains and slight drains, but give no specifics. On the slight drain from the pull down fuse, what is slight? Some is acceptable, around 20-30 mA. By pulling the comfort fuse, you are affecting several circuits. It supplies power to the CD changer, remote function actuation(keyless), heater and a/c programmer, and platform zone module(body control). It also powers the control side of what is called the controlled power relay. This relay is grounded by the PZM. The pull down fuse just supplies power to the pull down motor. First thing I would do, is with all circuits intact, pull the controlled power relay that is in the rear electronics bay in relay center #1. If the draw goes away, something is keeping the PZM awake. This could be somewhat complex to locate without a scan tool. Does this vehicle have aftermarket stuff installed in it, by chance. That is a major contributor to electrical problems on these vehicles.
Tuesday, July 6th, 2010 AT 9:13 PM
SRLAWSON
Thank you for this psiot I had this problem and had to get a used BCM and have it programmed to the car all fixed! Cost me $260.00 I love this site.
Sunday, November 4th, 2018 AT 11:56 AM
WILLAIM2852
  • 1999 CADILLAC DEVILLE
My 99 cadillac deville will not start, I did the by pass with the resistor, I got a new key with chip, I pull out all the fuses and spray with w-40 to clean away corosion, it's hit or miss thing. What else can it be it dont even turn over
Sunday, November 4th, 2018 AT 11:56 AM (Merged)
WRENCHTECH
As you were told at the other site, you cannot completely bypass a Passkey system and you need a tech2 scan tool to diagnose it.
-1
WILLAIM2852
But could you give me some suggestion besides the tech2, because I did have a lock smith with that tool and he did the resistor by pass, could it be the ignition lock cylinder
WRENCHTECH
One more time. You cannot diagnose this problem without a tech2 scan tool. You just bypassed the lock cylinder.
-1
CADIEMAN
The key chip and the resistor have different values. They must match. The tester has different resistor values 1 to 15. If the key the key is a 7 you set to 7 and it reads 750 ohns on the chip or resistor and it starts. If properly installed it does work.
WRENCHTECH
The key bypass is only going to work if first, the correct resister value was used and second. That was the problem in the first place which is probably wasn't.
JOE LANEY
  • 1998 CADILLAC DEVILLE
Hi, My passive security system goes off every time I stop. The horn bloes and the head lights flash for about a minute.
Sunday, November 4th, 2018 AT 11:57 AM (Merged)
FACTORYJACK
Is this when you stop and the vehicle is shut off? It should not be armed if the vehicle has an ignition input. If it happens when the vehicle is stationary, locked with key off, you could have a trunk tamper or door lock cylinder switch that is faulty.
A1P9A6C7K
  • 1998 CADILLAC DEVILLE
The message comes up when I try ti start the car " starter disabled due to anti theft " how can this be disabled I can not start the car?
If this is a factory system, and it sounds that way, you need to take it to the dealer. It can't be disabled and the proper test equipment is needed to chech for the problem.
-1
RUFUSRICH1979
  • 1998 CADILLAC DEVILLE
My car wont start and it says theft system problem. My radio, power seats, and heat do not work does it have to do with theft system or is it something else
O have a different key try that if not then it will need to be scanned to see what is wrong with it. A pro will need to do it.
-1
ROBET E PARTRIDGE
  • 1997 CADILLAC DEVILLE
On the information read out it has the following:

THEFT SYSTEM PROBLEM

CAR MAY NOT RESTART

SERVICE AIR BAG

Also lights do not work, if car starts it shuts right off, windows do not work, door locks do not operate, opening of trunk or gas door doesn't work.

This has happened before, had to be towed to a mechanic, he played with and seem to fix he thinks by repeatedly unlocking the car with the key.

It was good for about 2 or 3 months, then it happened again, I tried the thing and again was fixed.

Now its happened again and nothing seems to do any good.
KHLOW2008
Hi Robert,

Symptoms indicates a power supply interruption and it could possibly be the ignition switch.

Perform a test on the ignition switch to see if it is faulty.

IGNITION SWITCH
Turn ignition off. Disconnect Black 48-pin connector C202, located at base of steering column. Using DVOM, check for continuity between specified terminals with ignition switch in specified
position. See IGNITION SWITCH CONTINUITY TEST. See Fig. 3. If continuity does not exist as indicated, repair as necessary.

I am not able to add any diagrams and will send the file to your email but can't seem to find it.