1996 Cadillac Deville

SKH1955
  • 1996 CADILLAC DEVILLE
I only drive this car about once per month. I put a new compressor in about 2 years ago. After the car sits several weeks and you turn the A/C on it makes a grinding grunting noise and then works fine. If I drive this car ever few days this does not occur, it is just if it sits up for a few weeks. Any sugestions would be appreciated.
Sunday, August 2nd, 2009 AT 1:54 PM

FACTORYJACK
It is possible that oil is settling in the compressor, and the noise your getting is described as slugging. The compressor is processing liquid, which don't compress. In theory, it could be detrimental to the component, have never seen a failed compressor because of it.
Sunday, August 2nd, 2009 AT 5:54 PM
SKH1955
Thank you very much for your reply. I had one other person tell me this, but in all the years I have had cars that have set up for several weeks this has never happened before.
Monday, August 3rd, 2009 AT 6:11 AM
FACTORYJACK
It is possible that when you had the compressor replaced, the oil that was added to it created too much in the system. Since you don't have any idea how much oil is in the system to begin with, and adding oil to a component is required at replacement, it is easy to have too much. If you were to have something done about it, a simple evac and recharge may resolve it.
Monday, August 3rd, 2009 AT 8:51 PM
SKH1955
I had that done yesterday. I hope that cures the problem. Thanks for your help and quick reply.
Wednesday, August 5th, 2009 AT 8:31 AM
1955SKH
The evacuation and re charge did not cure the problem. Any more ideas. This is about to drive me crazy. I am so anal about my cars.
Friday, August 14th, 2009 AT 2:10 PM
FACTORYJACK
Not really sure at this point, without hearing the noise I can only guess that that is what is occurring. To remove and drain each component in order to get an idea how much oil is in there would be costly, Do you feel it is enough of a concern to warrant spending the money on?
Tuesday, August 18th, 2009 AT 12:26 AM
1955SKH
No, not at this point. I drove the car to my mechanic this a.M. And did not turn the A/C on until I reached the garage. It made a little noise, but not like it has been doing. He thinks the noise is coming from the compressor and advises me to drive it on. I think what I will do is drive a few miles before turning on the A/C as he said it might give the oil time to heat up. Thanks for all of your help.
Tuesday, August 18th, 2009 AT 7:59 AM
FACTORYJACK
Your welcome. I would not think that it is an issue with oil temperature, rather than the compressor being the lowest point in the system that has storage capacity and moving parts.
Tuesday, August 18th, 2009 AT 11:10 PM