The fuel rail must be removed to service the fuel injectors.
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Relieve the fuel system pressure
3. Remove the fuel rail as outlined earlier in this section and place on a suitable workbench.
4. On a clean work surface, remove each injector O-ring seal from the spray tip end of each injector. Discard the seals. Fuel injector O-rings should always be replaced whenever fuel injectors are serviced. With the O-ring removed, the nylon O-ring back-up may slip off the injector. Be sure to retain the O-ring back-up for reuse
Use care when removing the fuel injectors to prevent damage to the small electrical connector pins or the fuel injection nozzles. Do not immerse the fuel injector in any type of cleaner. The fuel injector is an electrical component and may be damaged by this cleaning method. The fuel injector is serviced as a complete assembly only. If the fuel injectors are found to be leaking, the engine oil may be contaminated with fuel.
1. Remove the fuel injector retaining clips and remove the injectors by simply pulling out of the fuel rail.
To install: 1. Clean all parts well. Fuel injector O-rings should always be replaced whenever the fuel injectors are serviced. Use the following procedure: A. Coat all O-rings with clean engine oil before installing.
B. Install the fuel injector nylon O-ring back-up ring first, then install the lower O-ring.
C. Install the fuel injector upper O-ring.
2. Install the fuel injector to the fuel rail. When seated, install the retaining clip. Repeat for each injector that was removed.
3. Install the fuel rail with the injectors attached, as outlined earlier in this section.
4. Connect the negative battery cable.
5. Inspect for leaks using the following procedure: A. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position for 2 seconds.
B. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position for 10 seconds.
C. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position again.
D. Inspect all areas for fuel leaks.