1994 Buick Skylark Car is running rough

FEELINFROGGY
  • 1994 BUICK SKYLARK
My car is idling rough. When driving in town at lower speeds you don't notice anything being wrong with the car until you take it above 50. After 50 the car jerks like a spark plug is misfiring but I've had those replaced. When the car is stopped with just the brake, like at a stoplight you can feel it, almost like it's sputtering but if you put it in park it is not nearly as noticeable. When in park, it's more occasional than ongoing. I did notice that I have an exhaust leak coming out of my muffler. When the car is running you can hear it missing or whatever it's doing through the muffler. Sounds like it's spitting. When you're driving above 50 and the problem is really bad if you press on the gas it stops until you release the gas again. It's really bad going up hills, I have to press hard on the gas and continue to accelerate all the way up the hill to get it to stop. What could be wrong? Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you in advance!
Monday, February 18th, 2008 AT 7:24 AM

MERLIN2021
First step here is to have the fuel pressure tested, sounds like she's starving.
Monday, February 18th, 2008 AT 7:32 AM
FEELINFROGGY
I have noticed that it has been using a lot more gas lately. I will have this checked out first. Anything else it could be?
Monday, February 18th, 2008 AT 10:00 AM
MERLIN2021
Is the service engine light on? If so check the codes

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_95_OlderGM_3.jpg

...jump these two together, then turn on the key, count the flashes, 22 reads as 2 flashes, a short pause then 2 more flashes, if more than one cod is present, the pause between codes is longer, write them down and post result here...
Monday, February 18th, 2008 AT 10:08 AM
FEELINFROGGY
No the check engine light is not on and no other lights have came on. A friend told me that his car did this at one point in time and it ended up being a corroded wire in the socket where the plug wires go into the distributor cap. Could something like this being causing my problem? If so, would replacing the wires fix the problem? I'm taking it in today to have a fuel pressure test done and getting a new fuel filter put in. I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks again for your help.
Wednesday, February 20th, 2008 AT 3:27 AM
MERLIN2021
If a plug wire was bad, it would miss all the time not just at 50. But tune ups are not a bad thing!
Wednesday, February 20th, 2008 AT 7:09 AM