Door Won't Open from Outside.

JOHNWOLFE
  • BUICK REGAL

Hi, I have a '93 Buick Regal, when I bought it used the passengers door would not open from the outside. This did not cause many hassles because I can open it from the inside. But now, the drivers door has done the same thing. I can hear it lock and unlock, and it opens fine from the inside, the outside handle just wont open it. I can't for the life of me figure out the problem. I now have to keep the window open 4 inches in 35 degree weather so I can get in. Any help would be appreciated.

It's not power locks, I unlocked it with the key and can hear it unlock, it just won't open.

Anyone have any other info? I'm really in a jam here.

Thursday, March 8th, 2007 AT 12:42 PM

TWISTED03

I have the same car and the same prob with th drivers door and for awhille I thought it wouldnt open but I just had to pull hard and kinda down and it opened up (i mean really hard) found this out after I tore the whol door apart

-1
Thursday, March 8th, 2007 AT 1:35 PM
DRAGONRIDER99

Greetings. I have a 1996 Regal that had the same problem that got progressively worse until I could no longer open the door from either side. Went to a body shop and got them to order a replacement latch assembly for me. Installed it myself, saved a bundle and works great now.

Good luck

+1
Tuesday, March 13th, 2007 AT 12:52 PM
CHEVYII

I HAVE TO ADMIT DRAGONRIDER HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD, REPLACE THE LATCH ASSEMBLY

JIM

Tuesday, March 13th, 2007 AT 1:53 PM
ANIL111

I have a 1995 and have similar problems, for a year or so. Sometimes autolocks do not work and at the same time inside lights do not come on at all. Once in a while they will work for one day or less and will not work most of the time.

For 8+ months I open the car old fashioned way. With the keys.

Sometimes inside lights will stay on when car is shut. I carry a wrench to remove battery negative terminal under my car seat for quick access.

Recently I have brake light and bell problems. They do not turn off.

Good luck and if u find any solution please let me know. Thanks.

Saturday, March 31st, 2007 AT 8:18 PM
GEOPJ61
  • 1996 BUICK REGAL
  • MERGED

1996 Buick Regal 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 103000 miles

My driver's side door will not open when I put the car in park with the engine running and try to open the door even after I unlock the doors electrically or manually. It also will not open sometimes when the car is turned off and the doors unlock automaticly. The only way to open the door is to start the car again and put the window down and open it using the outside door handle and then not then until after trying several times lifting the door handle. Is there some kind of electrical sensor in the door that is not working? What is causing this and how can I fix its? Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Monday, February 13th, 2017 AT 4:34 PM
  • MERGED

Hi:
There are several linkages in the door that operat it. My suggestion is to remove the door panel and take a look. It could be something loose. When you try to unlock electrically, do you hear the solenoid trying to unlock the door?

Monday, February 13th, 2017 AT 4:34 PM
CHRIS92
  • 1996 BUICK REGAL
  • MERGED

Interior problem
1996 Buick Regal 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 72500 miles

i just got my car back from being in the shop and the passenger door will not open from the outside but it will open from the inside. I was just wondering what it would be so that I can fix it myself.

Monday, February 13th, 2017 AT 4:34 PM
  • MERGED

You need to remove the inner door panel to check for the problem. Either the linkage came disconnected from the handle or the handle is broken.

Monday, February 13th, 2017 AT 4:34 PM
GKHOYT
  • 1996 BUICK REGAL
  • MERGED

I unlocked the driver side door and pulled up and it broke, and the front passenger side door does not open from the outside. So what do I need to do to get the driver side door to open? I'm not working at the moment so I kinda need my car. Thank you

Monday, February 13th, 2017 AT 4:34 PM
  • MERGED

As for the passenger door as well as drivers door if handles are ok then there is a clip that holds therod to the door handle that may have broken. You will have to get in car first. Maybe a mechanic will have what is called a slim jim to slide in there to open the door. Then the panel has to come off. Id ont' have apic to show but these are about $2 or so in auto parts stores. If it's the handle they are a little more exspensive. If the handle is broken once you getin car take it off and either use wire or astring to rod to open door until you get a handle or the part you need.

Monday, February 13th, 2017 AT 4:34 PM
SLICKVICK
  • 1996 BUICK REGAL
  • MERGED

In the winter the doors froze on my mom's car she said she pulled on the doors but they wouldn't open. Later in the day we could open the back doors and reached over and opened the front doors from inside. A man at a repair place said something is bent in the doors and it would cost like 500. Dollars to get the parts cause of its age. Can you take that part from the back door and put it on the front one cause they open fine?

Monday, February 13th, 2017 AT 4:34 PM
  • MERGED

Chances are the linkage got bent. If it can't be straightened by hand, get the part from a salvage yard. My guess it that the part would be under 10 dollars.

If you can find out exactly what part was damaged, I will help you find one. As far as the rear doors' linkages, they will be different.

Let me know if I can help.

Monday, February 13th, 2017 AT 4:34 PM
SLICKVICK
  • MERGED

Thanks Joe and that is what Is bent according to my mom. I will try a junkyard thank you very much.

Monday, February 13th, 2017 AT 4:34 PM
  • MERGED

Wow. Those are simple steel rods that are about 1/4 of an inch in diameter. I wouldn't recommend going to the guy that wants 500.00. That is crazy.

Let me know how things go for you.

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Monday, February 13th, 2017 AT 4:34 PM