Oil Pan Gasket Replacement

BROBINSON2
  • BUICK PARK AVENUE
1998 Buick PArk Avenue 3, 8L V6 98000mi.
How easy is it to replace the oil pan gasket?
Do you need to raise the engine, take off a bunch of parts, or simply unbolt and re-bolt?
Do you need to use sealant?
How tight are bolts retightened?
Friday, August 17th, 2007 AT 10:47 PM

CLY
You do not have to remove any mounts or anything. Make sure to remove the oil level sensor from the side of the pan before removing so you don't break it. Use a 1/4 inch bead of silicone sealant on bothsides of the gasket.(Make sure surfaces are free of dirt and oil or the silicone wont stick) Finger tighten all the bolts and then tighten the oil pan retaining bolts to 14 N m (124 lb in). It is a good idea to let it sit for about 30 minutes before adding oil just to give the sealant alittle time to cure.

Cly
+2
Saturday, August 18th, 2007 AT 4:47 AM
BROBINSON2
I have unclipped the wire connection going to the oil level sensor.
How do I remove the oil level sensor?
(I have all the bolts off the pan, except left one loose to hold it up, but the pan will not drop off. I assume that this is due to the oil level sensor).

Also, when applying the sealant, do you apply it where the red rubber gasket is on the gasket (follow it around)?
Sunday, August 19th, 2007 AT 11:51 AM
BROBINSON2
OK.
The oil sensor just unscrewed.
Now, to remove the old gasket, do I need to remove the starter, or the oil pickup?
Sunday, August 19th, 2007 AT 12:18 PM
CLY
You do have to remove the oil pick-up tube. And when you aply the sealant what I do is put a small bead all the way around the pan and spead it with my finger then do the same on the gasket. Make sure and get a new oil pick-up tube gasket aswell.

Cly
Sunday, August 19th, 2007 AT 8:23 PM
BROBINSON2
Thanks for the reply.
By the time I read it, I was already finished.
I did not recall seeing a gasket on the oil pickup tube, but maybe I just did not see it. How important is it to have been replaced?

Everything went back together smoothly and appears to have no leaks. I think this took a while being that I had not done it before and did not want to break anything. Hopefully there will not be a next time, but if there is it should be easier!
+1
Monday, August 20th, 2007 AT 9:46 AM
CLY
Hopfuly That oil pick-up tube gasket stayed in one piece on the pick-up tube and you wont have a problem.

Glad ya got it wooped.

Cly
+1
Monday, August 20th, 2007 AT 4:13 PM