2006 Buick Park Avenue Gas Gage on the Dash Board

PODOK86
  • 2006 BUICK PARK AVENUE
Interior problem
2006 Buick Park Avenue Front Wheel Drive Automatic 80,000 miles

My battery died, and when I replaced it, I went to start the car and all the needles on the dash console (RPM's, Gas, etc.) Went all crazy for a second, and then returned to normal, all of them EXCEPT the gas gage. It went all the way around to the right, and is now stuck under the prong on the gage that is supposed to stop it from going too far past the "E" side. Is there anyway to fix this without having to take the car to a repair shop? I hate the thought of them having to rip the whole dash out, and fix it, that would take alot of time, and more time=more money. What should I do?
Tuesday, October 20th, 2009 AT 7:27 PM

BOWFAN
I thought they quick making the BPA in 2005?

Are you a do-it-yourself'r?

There are a couple ways you can fix this yourself.

Some people claim to have success using a magnet to draw the gauge needle around (counter-clockwise) until it gets back into the proper range.

Others recommend drilling a tiny hole in the clear dash cluster cover and inserting a bent paper clip to flip the needle over. They then either plug the hold with a rubber plug or leave it for the next time it flips open.

A third method involves taking the plastic cover off the gauge cluster and flipping the needle over with your finger and then reassembling.

The magnet wouldn't work for me, so I resorted to that third method. But any time your get a loose battery connection or disconnect the battery, the problem may happen again. I wanted to put a permanent fix in place.

Fourth method. I opened it up, drilled a hole in the cluster panel, and put a stop pin on the full side to match the factory pin on the empty side.

In 2003 and later BPAs the factory installed a full-side pin, if that tells you anything.

It only takes about 15 mins, and a 7mm socket driver, and maybe a screwdriver.
Thursday, December 17th, 2009 AT 7:55 PM