2000 Buick Park Avenue Ultra Stalls (Lots of clues)

2000PAULTRA
  • 2000 BUICK PARK AVENUE
Engine problem
2000 Buick Park Avenue 6 cyl 80,000 miles

So my 2000 PA Ultra likes to stall when:

A) The engine is cold
B) When the car is in motion, within the first 30 to 60 seconds of driving, and going down hill. Or presumably when it's running with my foot off the gas, but not when I first start driving it, like putting it in gear or even stopping at the end of my street. It will also never stall at startup.

In order to get it started again, I have to press the pedal when starting and keep the engine revved above 2000 RPM's for about 10 seconds. If not, the RPM gauge will go right to zero and it will stall again.

It won't stall at all when the car is warmed up for 5 minutes and the engine revved, above 2000 RPM's, a few times. This process does not need repeating unless the engine is cold again.

Clues:

The only part I can rule out is my TP sensor. I installed a new one, and although my car is running much better (and faster), it hasn't solved the stalling.

When my car is first started and I am revving the engine, it has a whinny sound. Also, when in idle, the colder it is, the longer it takes for the engine to slow down. Maybe normal but it seems to take too long.

I'm pretty certain I have one or two spark plugs that are misfiring as the car sometimes has a very 'weak' startup sound and the power isn't what it used to be (yes, it is better with the new TP sensor, which I installed correctly). I'm not sure if misfiring sparks can make an engine stall in this fashion. I do know my car doesn't seem to get codes unless a part completely fails.

BTW, if any other PA owners, wth '99 or higher vehicles, are reading this; can you let me know what your RPM reading is when your car is stopped and in Drive? Mine is around 500, which is lower than it once was. It's 800 to 1000 in Neutral

Thanks,

Jeff
Wednesday, December 26th, 2007 AT 12:44 AM

Inspect/Test the engine coolant temperature sensor and also the idle air control valve and check the EGR

Check the ignition timing
Wednesday, December 26th, 2007 AT 2:11 AM
2000PAULTRA
It's interesting that you mention that, but my car does have a small coolant leak. I wasn't going to bring it up at this point; thinking would have nothing to do with the other.

My engine is running hot (the gauge doesn't show it as such. Dumb gauges) and I had a coolant leak from a gasket, that was fixed (replaced by a burning smell which meant the coolant leak was still present) and then the coolant smell came back and I took it to another place and it turned out the rad cap was bad. Now just the burning smell is back. No doubt it's the heat that's killing this stuff.

Fortunately, when I installed the TP sensor, I noticed a lot of coolant on my hands, coming from a rubber hose, so I think I have found the source of the problem. And if it's just this hose, it will be an easy fix.

Funny how both mechanics said everything was A-OK. I don't think those pressure tests they do are good enough.

Anyway, perhaps I should nip this coolant problem in the bud, before I move on. At least I can drive the car if I do my little warm up procedure.

Thanks,

Jeff
Wednesday, December 26th, 2007 AT 6:59 AM