1992 Buick Park Avenue Heater Not Working in Buick

MOMOF3***
  • 1992 BUICK PARK AVENUE
Hello, I have a question. I recently purchased my used vehicle and when I did, the heat worked great. Now for whatever reason, the heat will only blow out when the car has been turned of for a significant amount of time. For example, in the morning when I start the car the heat comes on. When I leave for work after an 8 hour day, the heat comes on. But if I turn the car off and say turn the car back on a few minutes later, the heat will not come on. All my lights are lighting up and I occasionally here a click like it wants to come on, but it does not so I did not think it would be a fuse but I am really not sure what it could be. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Thursday, December 10th, 2009 AT 9:38 AM

BLACKOP555
Do you mean the blower wont come on? Or the blower is blowing but no warm air is coming out of the dash?
Friday, December 11th, 2009 AT 4:01 PM
MOMOF3***
The blower will not come on. Does it maybe have anything to do with the climate control buttons? I noticed last night when I first got in the car I just pushed the heater button and nothing. But if I put it on Auto after a hesitation, it kicked on.
Friday, December 11th, 2009 AT 4:05 PM
BLACKOP555
Wont work in any speed? What if you sit there and keep hitting the button on and off?

Might be a bad relay. Do you know where it is located? When did you first notice this problem start to occur.

Does the clicking noise seem like a light tick when you push the button. Kinda like the noise you hear when you turn on the rear defrosters?
Friday, December 11th, 2009 AT 4:07 PM
MOMOF3***
No, I will sit and push all the buttons and all they do is light up, but nothing kicks on. If I just leave it on and proceed to drive, the clicking I hear sounds like it is coming from somewhere on the passenger side of the car.
The problem first started about a week and a half ago. It seems like it has a mind of it's own and just wants to come on whenever the car has been off for a long period of time.
Unforunately, the car did not come with a manual and I am kinda unsure what all the buttons do. I typically just use the Auto and Heat button.
Friday, December 11th, 2009 AT 4:13 PM
BLACKOP555
Get ready to test!

BLOWER MOTOR TEST
unplug blower motor connector turn ign switch to run. Set ac mode selector to vent and blower in high. Use a meter and measure voltage between blower connector purple wire and ground. If batt volt present go to next step. If none check purple for open circuit. If purple wire is good perform blower relay test and blower switch test explained later.

Check for batt voltage between purple and black wires. If batt voltage is present but no blower motor replace motor. If voltage is present check black for open circuit. Insure good clean tight ground.

BLOWER RELAY TEST
remove blower relay from relay panel on center of firewall. Turn ignition switch to run and set ac mode select to vent and blower switch to low. Measure voltage between relay connector red wire and ground. If batt present go to next step. If not present check red wire for open circuit to fuse block

measure voltage between relay connector dark blue wire and ground. If voltage exists go next step. If not check dark blue for open circuit. If wire is good perform blower motor resistor test. If we get that far well go over it later.

Measure voltage between orange wire and ground. If batt volt present go next step. If not check orange wire for open circuit if orange wire ok perform blower switch test. If all listed is good and you got good on last step replace relay.

BLOWER SWITCH TEST
unplug blower moor resistor connector. Turn ignition to run and ac mode to vent. Put blower switch in M1 position.

Measure voltage between blower motor resistor tan wire and ground on the connector. If volt present go to next step. If nothing check tan wire for open. If tan wire ok replace blower switch.

Set blower switch m2 positioin measure voltage between blower motor resistor connector light blue wire and ground. If volt not present check light blue wire for open circuit. If wire is good replace blower switch.

Set blower to high. Reasure voltage between high speed relay connector orange wire and ground. If voltage present switch is ok. If batt voltage is not present check orange wire for open. If wire is ok replace blower switch.

Hers a a/c mode selector test. Turn ign. To run. Set ac mode selector to vent. With control panel connected measure the voltage between connect c1 brown wire and ground. If you have batt voltage proceed if not check brown wire for open circuit to heater a/c fuse

measure voltage between gray and black wire on c3 connector and ground. If batt voltage isnt present check gray black for open circuit. If good replace control panel.
Friday, December 11th, 2009 AT 4:34 PM
MOMOF3***
Thank you so much for the info. I have printed this off and will take home to have someone check it out for me. Your help is greatly appreciated
Monday, December 14th, 2009 AT 7:08 AM
BLACKOP555
No problem. Just take your time! Glad to help. Get back to me with what you find. We appreciate your time to ask a question and for the donation!
Monday, December 14th, 2009 AT 9:23 PM