1991 Buick Park Avenue Heater Doesn't Work

JCJOHNSON
  • 1991 BUICK PARK AVENUE
Climate control system has good fuse, but display dark. Buttons beep when pressed, but no heat, fan etc.
Where do I look to get it going? Heater display does not work, so no way to read codes.
Sunday, February 1st, 2009 AT 2:56 PM

RACEFAN966
Ok lets see if it will go into a self diagnostic mode and tell us what is happening. It is simple all you need is the key's to the car and the car and a few moments ok.
Turn key on engine off and then press the off and warmer button together. Now press the high button once now it should give you numbers these are codes use the low button to scroll the codes if there is any. Now when you are done then you press the low button 3 times it should show 03 and then the low button again and now it should show 01 now press the high button once now it should show temp in the display now codes are cleared you are done. Get me the codes if there is any and we will see what is going on.
Monday, February 2nd, 2009 AT 2:18 PM
JCJOHNSON
No power, fuse OK, beeps when buttons are pressed but nothing on display, so cannot read codes. Heater does not work.
Tuesday, February 3rd, 2009 AT 4:20 PM
RACEFAN966
Ok well with that said it seems that the controler is bad. So I would call around to the salvage or wrecking yards and find one and replace it. If you would like you can do one more test with a volt meter and verify this. Unplug the Control unit and check for votage from the orange wire to ground if there is voltage then check the brown wire to ground if there is voltage there then check for voltage between the brown wire and the black wire and if there is voltage then the control unit (panel) is bad and needs to be replaced. Now these tests are done with the key on engine off. Here is a pic of the connector to help.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_Graphic2_5.jpg

+1
Wednesday, February 4th, 2009 AT 10:09 AM
JCJOHNSON
I have no idea where to look for the control unit.
Thursday, February 5th, 2009 AT 5:04 AM
RACEFAN966
It is the part you use to push the buttons on. Looks like this.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_Graphic_35.jpg

+1
Thursday, February 5th, 2009 AT 9:57 AM