1998 Buick Lesabre will not start

VETTE81
  • 1998 BUICK LESABRE
Everything electrical works fine but the motor will not crank. When the key is turned the light on the radio goes out but I do not hear and clicking of the starter. This just started happening. If I try it again later it may start. Is it possible there is a security interlock that is failing?
Thursday, November 13th, 2008 AT 2:56 PM

DAVE H
It is possible the starter motor is jammed. Try tapping it with a hammer or something heavy. If this doesn't free it then it needs replacing. But like you say it could be your immoboliser

DESCRIPTION & OPERATION
WARNING:Deactivate air bag system before performing any service operation. See AIR BAG RESTRAINT SYSTEM article. DO NOT apply electrical power to any component on steering column without first deactivating air bag system. Air bag may deploy.

PASS-KEY II(R) SYSTEM
PASS-Key II(R) is designed to prevent vehicle theft by disabling engine unless an ignition key with a specific electrical resistance is used in the ignition key lock cylinder. PASS-Key II(R) system operates using sensing contacts which are located within the ignition key lock cylinder. These contact a key resistor pellet which is located on the ignition key. When the lock is rotated, battery voltage is applied through appropriate fuse to PASS-Key II(R) decoder module. Pellet resistance is then compared with programmed value in module. 15 different resistances are used. System components include ignition key, ignition key lock cylinder, PASS-Key II(R) decoder module, starter enable relay and Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
Thursday, November 13th, 2008 AT 3:24 PM