1995 Buick Lesabre Oil Pan Gasket

RSUKOVICH
  • 1995 BUICK LESABRE
1995 Buick Lesabre 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 140K miles

What is the purpose of such a large oil pan gasket that appears to take up the whole opening of the pan rather than a strip type that just takes up the area around the rim or sealing area. Does the large gasket have to be used?
Tuesday, August 17th, 2010 AT 12:46 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
Hello and thanks for donating

The purpose of this molded style gasket (AKA one-piece gasket) is that they seal much better than old styles and they are reusable. They don't stick to the oil pan, you can remove it, clean it and the pan and reuse it. They do a great job, I have never had a one piece leak yet. You can still use the old style which is obviously much cheaper, just an option to choose.
Tuesday, August 17th, 2010 AT 5:24 PM
RSUKOVICH
I'm flabbergasted. Why would it start leaking in the first place and how would I keep it from leaking again if I re-install it. I hope I can reuse it, since a new one costs 40.00.
Tuesday, August 17th, 2010 AT 10:04 PM
RSUKOVICH
One other thing. I asked the guy at the auto store and he told me that it is designed to keep oil from splashing up on the crankshaft, which if it did, it would interfere with the performance of the engine.
Tuesday, August 17th, 2010 AT 10:11 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Yes, it has multiple purposes really and when the oil splashes up it just breaks the oil down faster. These types of seals are relatively new, cars have been without them for many years. It's not a mandatory part, its just a better option as stated before. They eventually wear out due to the amount of stress and heat they endure, that is why sometimes they may get a leak.
Tuesday, August 17th, 2010 AT 10:44 PM