97 POWER STEERING PROBLEM

1997 Buick Century

sew4207

May, 29, 2006 AT 1:35 AM

Back in January my car started to make a growling noise during idle and when I turned the wheel at a low speed. After consulting some friends, they advised me to check my power steering fluid. I unfortunately neglected to ever check it and let the fluid over time get below the fill line. I filled up the fluid and the car continued to make the noise. It's important to note that I NEVER had any problems with the actual operation of the power steering. I was busy over the next couple months and did not do anything about it until a few weeks ago. I replaced the power steering pump and it didn't seem to help much. I didn't change all the fluid at first and drove it for a few weeks. Recently I flushed the system and bled the pump for a long long time, however it still makes the noise. I am at a loss of what to do. Almost everything points to me damaging the pump when I let the fluid get too low, however I have replaced the pump and it does the same thing, however it still works 100%, it just makes and obnoxious noise that is intermitent and only happens at idle and when turning at low speeds. The noise changes as I turn the wheel. This problem has been driving me insane. Any advice?

lsussel

May, 29, 2006 AT 8:08 AM

Well first. Dont ever let mantainance of your car slip to the back of your head. Did you check the ROP?

Rack of pinion?

Power Steering Fluid Flush Chevrolet Blazer
Power Steering Fluid Change Kia Sportage
Power Steering Fluid Check Acura TSX
Power Steering Fluid Flush Acura MDX 2000-200
Power Steering Pump Replacement Chevy Tahoe