Odometer light does not come on

EWALTER
  • 2002 BUICK CENTURY

125 miles.

We recently purchased this car however the odometer light will not come on to see the mileage and to see what gear we are in. It does not have an inspection sticker and I cannot get it inspected without having the mileage on it.

Can anyone please help me and tell me what my next step should be?

Mom in distress!

Monday, February 18th, 2008 AT 10:03 AM

BDILLOW

I just opened up my 2001 Buick Century for the same problem. I think the 2002 is almost identical, so this probably applies to you. It turns out the instrument cluster is one large module. Most of the warning lights are LED's, the constant-on and dimming lights are incandescent bulbs, but the odometer and gear indicator display is an LCD. If it is not lighting up, it is a module. There is no back light to replace. When I got down to mine, I could see the location of a burn-out on the LCD. It is possible the same happened to yours. I was hoping to replace just some back light bulb but it is just not possible.

I have not found any reputable dealers with instrument clusters for sale, though there were a few on eBay. I do not know if I want to put those into my car though. I am just going to call up a dealer and see how much it will cost to have them install a new module. (Probably too much, but I am kind of over a barrel on this.)

Good luck

+2
Friday, March 21st, 2008 AT 5:14 PM
FIELDSMD

Fortunately this gets better. A few resistors and some solder and bam! Wish I could claim credit for the fix. Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84FAjLxoK00

+5
Friday, January 1st, 2010 AT 6:25 PM
JEFFWHEE

Thanks fieldsmd. I have a 2003 Century and this fix worked great for me and even easier than I thought. You do not even need a solder sucker to clean out the old solder because the pins do not go through the board. Just curl the wire under, cut to right length and they sit right on top. Odometer bright again. Thanks again.

+8
Monday, January 18th, 2010 AT 4:19 PM