Odometer light does not come on

EWALTER
  • 2002 BUICK CENTURY
125,000 miles.

We recently purchased this car however the odometer light will not come on to see the mileage and to see what gear we are in. It does not have an inspection sticker and I cannot get it inspected without having the mileage on it.

Can anyone please help me and tell me what my next step should be?

Mom in distress!
Monday, February 18th, 2008 AT 10:03 AM

BDILLOW
I just opened up my 2001 Buick Century for the same problem. I think the 2002 is almost identical, so this probably applies to you. It turns out the instrument cluster is one large module. Most of the warning lights are LED's, the constant-on and dimming lights are incandescent bulbs, but the odometer and gear indicator display is an LCD. If it is not lighting up, it is a module. There is no back light to replace. When I got down to mine, I could see the location of a burn-out on the LCD. It is possible the same happened to yours. I was hoping to replace just some back light bulb but it is just not possible.

I have not found any reputable dealers with instrument clusters for sale, though there were a few on eBay. I do not know if I want to put those into my car though. I am just going to call up a dealer and see how much it will cost to have them install a new module. (Probably too much, but I am kind of over a barrel on this.)

Good luck
+2
Friday, March 21st, 2008 AT 5:14 PM
FIELDSMD
Fortunately this gets better. A few resistors and some solder and bam! Wish I could claim credit for the fix. Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84FAjLxoK00
+5
Friday, January 1st, 2010 AT 6:25 PM
JEFFWHEE
Thanks fieldsmd. I have a 2003 Century and this fix worked great for me and even easier than I thought. You do not even need a solder sucker to clean out the old solder because the pins do not go through the board. Just curl the wire under, cut to right length and they sit right on top. Odometer bright again. Thanks again.
+8
Monday, January 18th, 2010 AT 4:19 PM
JPIRIE2282
  • 2002 BUICK CENTURY
Good morning,

My odometer/gear light in my dash is completely out. I removed the dash panel to see if there was a bulb that needed replacing. In doing so, it looks like the odometer/tachometer dash piece is all one unit. Is there a sensor or computer problem that could be causing that light to be out? The tachometer and all other lights on the dash work, it is only the odometer/gear light. Is if it not a computer problem, how would you advise I fix it?
Monday, December 3rd, 2018 AT 5:35 PM (Merged)
SCOTTY DEE
You have to replace the Instrument Panel Cluster.
SPEREILLO
  • 2002 BUICK CENTURY
My cars odometer ans shift indicator do not lighr up any more so you can not tell the mileage on the caror what gear your in. All of the the warning lights and gages are working fine. What could be some of the problems?
DANAUTHIER
There is a senor in the transaxle that sends speed information to the powertrain control module (pcm) that may be the issue. The pcm is also a possibility or the instrument cluster itself. Is the cluster didgital or does it have needle gages? Is you check engine light on? If it is, have you had the codes read? Fault codes are a very valuabule starting point in any diagnosis.

Just a few ideas, let me know.

Dan
-1
MR.GRUMP
  • 2000 BUICK CENTURY
2000 Buick century custom odometer doesn't light up. Doe's it have replacement bulbs?
If it is a digital odometer, there are no replaceable bulbs.
-1
MR.GRUMP
What do I do now to resolve this matter. Inspection won't pass because odmeter can't be read.
+1
First, make sure nothing has come loose behind the dash. If everything is tight, chances are the inst. Cluster will need replaced. I realize that isn't good news.
+1
WEBMAN666
  • 1997 BUICK CENTURY
1997 Buick Century Front Wheel Drive

the digital odometer is out. the rest of the panel is mechanical. does the entire panel have to be replaced or is the component it self -the odometer- just be replaced?
I have heard both from mechanics and heard considerably high prices for either job. Any advice here would be appreciated.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/402142_100_1207_1.jpg

IMPALASS
Hello -

I believe with your problem of it being totally blank the entire cluster needs to be replaced. Though that is not in our manual, if you review the below for these symptoms you will see after different tests it states to replace the cluster.

ODOMETER DOES NOT SWITCH BETWEEN TRIP & SEASON
1. Turn ignition on. If odometer display does not show TRIP, go to next step. If odometer display does show TRIP, disconnect accessory switch panel. If TRIP is not displayed, replace season/trip switch. If TRIP is still displayed, check for short to ground in odometer White wire. If wire is okay, replace instrument cluster.
2. Disconnect accessory switch panel connector. Connect 5-amp fused jumper wire between accessory switch panel connector terminal "C" (White wire) and ground. If odometer display now shows TRIP, check wiring for poor connection and Black ground wire for an open circuit. If circuits are okay, replace season/trip switch. If display does not show TRIP, check wiring for poor connection and White wire for an open circuit. If circuits are okay, repair instrument cluster.
TRIP ODOMETER INOPERATIVE (ALWAYS DISPLAYS ZERO)
1. Disconnect digital speedometer module. Measure resistance between digital speedometer module connector terminal "H" (Light Green wire) and ground. If circuit is open, replace instrument cluster. If circuit is closed, go to next step.
2. Disconnect accessory switch panel. Measure resistance between accessory switch panel connector terminals "D" (Brown wire) and "E" (Brown/White wire). If circuit is open, repair short to ground in Light Green wire. If circuit is closed, replace trip reset switch.
TRIP ODOMETER DOES NOT RESET
Turn ignition on. Set odometer to TRIP. Using fused 5-amp jumper wire momentarily backprobe between accessory switch panel connector terminal "H" (Light Green wire) and ground. If trip odometer display resets to zero, check wiring for poor connection. If connections are okay, replace trip reset switch. If odometer does not reset to zero, check Light Green wire for open circuit or high resistance. If wiring is okay, replace instrument cluster.
IMPALASS
Hello -

Also, it looks like you may have some recalls on your vehicle. The dealer may fix these for free. Please contact the dealer service department, give them the VIN number of your car and have them check on these to see if they apply to you.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Century_Recalls_1.jpg

SCHAFEJ1
  • 2000 BUICK CENTURY
2000 Buick Century; 112,000 miles, 3.1 liter

The light that lights up the gearshift indicator and the odometer is completely out. If I hit the clear dashboard cover hard enough the light will come on for awhile and then fade away.

How do I fix this?
EGUNS80
There's four resistors that need replaced, I have the same problem https://youtu.be/ebTS25sNOHQ
KEN
Hey,

Great addition to this thread! Please feel free to help out on the site whenever it can add information that will help.

Best, Ken
CSPENCR
  • 2003 BUICK CENTURY
My odometer does not come on. My dashboard lights up but not the odometer. Could you tell me if it is a fuse problem?
SCOTTM7635
I read your problem, and it's something I'm way too familiar with. My grandfather owns a fleet of taxis, all of them Buick Century's and Buick Regals. Out of all the cars he owns, two of them have a working odometer. It's just something that happens randomly to these cars. I've owned two Century's, myself, and the odometer worked in my '99, with 160,000 miles, and the odometer burnt out in my 2001 with less than 60,000 miles. It's not just a simple repair, you're gonna have no choice but to replace the instrument cluster. The CPU itself gets fried.
+1
TIMGOODSON
  • 1999 BUICK CENTURY
1999 Buick Century 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

My odometer of my Buick will not light up I checked the fuse but can not locate the problem