1999 Century Buick Custom-Cooling problems

MARGARET
  • 1999 BUICK CENTURY
Hello, I have a 99 century that has been acting up for some time. About a year ago I noticed that my coolant was getting sludgy looking. Then after awhile I had to start adding coolant to the overflow about every 2 weeks then more often recently. Recently I noticed the temp gauge was way to hot. I stopped my car and steam was blowing out of the right top end of my engine. I looked for a hole but see nothing. One can't see much there is so much in the way. Also, at this same time I felt my radiator cap and it was cold and my right side radhose was super hot. I have fixed most of my cars problems and would appreciate some help here on where to start and what to do. Thanks so much :
Saturday, January 6th, 2007 AT 4:13 PM

SERVICE WRITER
Dex-cool will give a sludgy appearance at the neck of the radiator, just wipe it out.
How many miles on it?
HOw old is the thermostat or the radiator cap?
Your info makes me wonder about the radiator being plugged, but that is rare, but relative none-the-less.

Somewhere along the way your losing coolant.
You say" I stopped my car and steam was blowing out of the right top end of my engine".
Try to narrow down where?
Saturday, January 6th, 2007 AT 4:23 PM
BOOTDOG
Also what I would do is get the whole coolant system flushed, and change the thermostat and radiator cap. If you decide to put dexcool, (the orange coolant), back in, mix it with distilled water. Any other water has minerals that will cause the orange coolant to build deposits. In other words electrodes. Do this and the dexcool will last a very long time. Good luck :)
Saturday, January 6th, 2007 AT 5:15 PM
SERVICE WRITER
Bootdog that's a great point I forgot :D

Why do you call yourself "Bootdog"?
Saturday, January 6th, 2007 AT 9:01 PM
GEARCUT
Check inside your oil fill cap and see if you have an orange residue that looks the same color as your antifreeze.

If so, you may have a bad intake manifold gasket letting antifreeze enter the combustion chambers.

I had this problem on my Blazer which was loosing antifreeze but I never noticed a visible leak.
Sunday, January 7th, 2007 AT 12:07 PM
SERVICE WRITER
The 3.1 was common for that, and is probably in Margaret's century.
Sunday, January 7th, 2007 AT 1:22 PM