1999 Buick Century water pump problem

MARCOXIV
  • 1999 BUICK CENTURY
Hi
A cupple of days ago a squeaking sound (like if something needed grease our something) seems to be coming out from the water pump. The car doesn't overheat our looses coolant but the sound continues. Does it mean the water pump is dying? Could it be just the bearing in the water pump our something? (I am not really a mechanic.)

IMPORTANT :The car has been sitting for almost a year. It's only been back on the road 2 weeks ago. The engine coolant seems really durty. When I open the cap on the radiator, I can take durty stuff out with my finger. Could that be the problem? Do I need to flush and clean the hole system?

Thanks a lot, Marc
Wednesday, March 24th, 2010 AT 7:29 PM

Marc:
If it is making noise, it is the bearing. Eventually, it will start leaking from the weep hole under it. As far as the coolant, yes I would service the system.

Let me know if you have other questions.

PS: Make sure to use the correct type of coolant. If it has dex cool, do not mix any other type with it.
Monday, April 12th, 2010 AT 9:29 AM

Sponsored links