1995 Buick Century brake lights not working

SNMLUDWIG
  • 1995 BUICK CENTURY

1995 Buick Century

where is the location of the fuse box for a 95 Buick century? I changed all of the fuses, but headlights and brake lights still not working. What could be the problem?

Monday, March 8th, 2010 AT 11:55 PM

Does the high-mount brake lite work? If neither the high or lower brake lites work. I'd have to check the circuits to and from the brake switch. If the high one works and the lower doesn't, I might have to check the multifunction switch.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/170934_century_brake_1.jpg

Any applicable fuses, you have to use a testlite or dmm to check for voltage.

As far as the headlamps, I'd have to check feed to and from the headlamp switch. The headlamp switch itself has a circuit breaker, internal, for the headlights.

Wednesday, March 10th, 2010 AT 8:34 AM
JOSPEHLINDSEY
  • 1995 BUICK CENTURY
  • MERGED

I have no power inside my car no head lights no brake lights the ac works but thats it the car will start and run fine checked all of my wires all of my grounds had the charging system checked everything passed I can not figured it out please can u help me

+1
Monday, February 6th, 2017 AT 4:28 AM
  • MERGED

Checkall fusible links in pic 4 off of the starterand the other three off of battery/fuse box underhood.

-1
Monday, February 6th, 2017 AT 4:28 AM
TONYA KREITZ
  • 1995 BUICK CENTURY
  • MERGED

1995 Buick Century 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

Hi! I have a little problem, my headlights and brake lights won't come on. My windows work but not my door locks, the antilock light stays on, trunk won't pop open from button in glove box have to use key, I checked my fuses, all good, please help me.

+1
Monday, February 6th, 2017 AT 4:29 AM
  • MERGED

Welcome to the forum, any fuses you check, also use a testlite on the fuse circuit, to see if the circuit is hot. Even if the fuse is good, if there is no voltage on the circuit, the circuit is still dead. There may be a multiwire connector under the dash, close to steering column, for circuits to and from the column. You may be able to test some circuits there, using testlite. All repair info says, when working around steering column, disarm air bag, where appicable.

The tan wire at connector under dash should be voltage for low beam. The lite green wire is voltage for high beam. If neither wire has voltage with headlamp switch on, check yellow wire for voltage. That wire carries voltage from headlamp switch to dimmer. Possible problem with dimmer switch or wiring in the column.

If the high-mount brake lite works and the lower ones don't, check the turn signal switch, the lower brake lites are wired through the turn switch. If no brake lites work, check the brake switch and voltage circuit to and from. The info I gave is dependant on all applicable fuses being good and fuse circuits hot.

Monday, February 6th, 2017 AT 4:29 AM
SLSOUTH
  • 1995 BUICK CENTURY
  • MERGED

1995 Buick Century 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 140, 00 miles

Where is the fusable link located? I have no headlights or brake lights.

Monday, February 6th, 2017 AT 4:31 AM
ZACKMAN
  • MERGED

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_95centuryextlight_1.jpg

Monday, February 6th, 2017 AT 4:31 AM
NICK H
  • MERGED

I had the same problem in a 94 century 3.1 v6. If it wasnt the fusible link then try following the positive connection from the battery. One thick wire runs to the starter and one set of 3 wires runs over to the driverside fender, where the connection off the positve cable is is where my problem was, when I unplugged the connection I could see a "burnt plug", cleaned it up, plugged it back in and all was good from there. I hope this helps.

Monday, February 6th, 2017 AT 4:31 AM
JERRYARVID
  • 1998 BUICK CENTURY
  • MERGED

I have changed the bulb and it did not work. I put a test light to the plug and it barely lights it up compared to the other side that lights up the tester bright. All of my turn signals and marker lights work on the front and the back. Just that one brake light does not work. Would the brake switch be bad? Thank you for your time.

Monday, February 6th, 2017 AT 4:31 AM
  • MERGED

INSURE BOTH SIDE OF THE EQUATION ARE CLEAN (DO THIS WITH THE POWER OFF) I MEAN BULB AND SOCKET. USING DIELECTRIC GREASE IS A PLUS ALSO

IF THAT IS NO HELP

RUN A JUMPER WIRE FROM A GOOD GROUND--I PREFER ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE BATTERY'S NEG POST

I HAVE A GOOD MANY LONG JUMPER W/ ALLIGATOR CLIPS ON BOTH ENDS---I GET STUCK TROUBLESHOOTING WIRING ON UTILITY TRAILERS AND BOAT TRAILERS

ANYWAY LETS ATTACH THE END OPPOSITE OF THE BATTERY TO METAL ADJACENT TO THE SOCKET (IF THE METAL IS PART OF THE SOCKETS GROUND)

IF IT AIN'T

PUSH A "STRAIGHT PIN"--"NEEDLE"--"HAT PIN"INTO THE GROUND WIRE AS CLOSE TO THE SOCKET AS POSSIBLE. THEN ATTACH YOUR ALLIGATOR CLIP ON TO IT (THE PIN STUCK INTO THE COPPER WIRE)

THIS WILL INSURE YOU HAVE A GROUND TO TEST BY----IF IT ALL WORKS FINE, YOU ARE GONNA HAVE TO TRACE DOWN WHERE THE ORIGINAL GROUND IS SUPPOSED TO HOOK TO THE BODY OR FRAME AND REPAIR/ CLEAN/ REATTACH IT

MANY TIMES THE BULBS ARE DIM--EVEN MAKE THE OTHERS ALTERNATE FLASHING DIMLYUSUALLY ITS A BAD GROUND, AND THE ONLY REASON YOU SEE THE DIM LIGHTS IS BECAUSE IT'S SEEKING A GROUND THRU THE OTHER TURN SIGNAL OR RUNNING LIGHT WIRE

KEEP US POSTED ON PROGRESS

SENDING GOOD PICS OF YOUR SITUATION MAY HELP ALSO

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Monday, February 6th, 2017 AT 4:31 AM
JERRYARVID
  • MERGED

I have done all that you said to do, and nothing has worked yet. I replaced the socket on the drivers side in cass it was a bad wire there but that did not work either. My next step I think is I am going to replace the brake switch and maybe even the turn signal switch. I have traced down the ground wires and have cleaned them up. This is really baffling, any ideas? Thank you

Monday, February 6th, 2017 AT 4:31 AM
  • MERGED

Passenger coming on-check the yellow wire on the bulb socket for the driver side- no power there-investigate the turn signal switch

Monday, February 6th, 2017 AT 4:31 AM