1993 Buick Century Car dies at random times; Doesn't stay r

TBWATRY
  • 1993 BUICK CENTURY
I have a 1993 buick century 3.3l automatic. Lately, the car dies while driving, but it idles great. It doesn't matter if I am going 5 mph or 65 (if I can keep it running long enough to go that fast) but it will just die. It restarts fine and might stay running for a minute or 15 minutes. I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, o2 sensor, maf sensor, and tps sensor with no luck. The flash codes are currently 24, 38, and 39. Although this points to the tcc, I am unable to find the wire to disconnect it and am thinking about replacing the crankshaft sensor. Any suggestions?
Monday, January 25th, 2010 AT 1:11 PM

Welcome to the forum. The 24 is vehicle speed sensor. 38 has to do with the brake switch. 39 has to do with tcc. Because I don't know how old the codes are, I'd erase the codes, drive it, see if anything comes back. How long since a tune-up?

The TCC should be located, low, on front side of transaxle, four wire connector. I can't recommend leaving that unplugged.
Monday, January 25th, 2010 AT 1:44 PM
TBWATRY
After unplugging the tcc (which is attached to the speed control sensor) the car ran great! No more stalls or hesitation! Are buicks more known for solenoid problems or do you think this is the tcc itself?

Also, could you tell me what could happen if I left this unplugged? I have seen mechanics online post that no harm will come and others say just the opposite.

Monday, January 25th, 2010 AT 3:04 PM
Hi, The info I looked at was for a century custom. The vss and tcc connectors are not even close to each other. Leaving the tcc unplugged may cause the transaxle to overheat, effect gas mileage. I don't know what else?
Monday, January 25th, 2010 AT 3:41 PM
TBWATRY
I'm not sure what I unplugged then. It was a single connector on the transaxle with two wires (a brown and a yellow) in the connector. It was the only plug I could find and when I unplugged it the car ran great, but the speedometer didn't work. The tranny is the 4t60, which I am sure you know. I plan to take the car in to have the tcc solenoid replaced.
Monday, January 25th, 2010 AT 11:14 PM