Broken lugnut

• 1 POST
  • 2005 MERCEDES BENZ C230
  • RWD
  • 180 MILES

The other day while driving on the freeway exited the freeway hit a dip two of the lug nuts on the rear tire driver side broke off. I drove the vehicle ten miles per hour to my house. The next morning I bought replacement lug nuts there are two lug nuts still stuck inside the wheel. I put new lug nuts on the extra spaces that were free vehicle will not drive at all, it will not move forward or backwards it is like the wheel locked. Please help!

Tuesday, November 22nd, 2016 AT 5:02 PM

I am having trouble visualizing what you have, but my first concern is that the studs broke. That is almost always caused by the previous person who bolted the wheel on and over-tightened them. It is critical that we always use a click-type torque wrench when installing wheels. Every tire and alignment shop will have a large wall chart with the listing for your vehicle, and they will be happy to tell you the correct setting if you want to do your own work. You never want to see a mechanic using only air tools to install wheels on your car. Often we run the nuts on with air tools, but we always do the final tightening with the torque wrench.

Any chance you can post a photo of the center of the wheel? If I remember correctly, you have rear disc brakes with the parking brake built into the center of the rotor, not as part of the caliper. That is a drum brake. A lot of European cars use a lug bolt that screws into the hub instead of a stud that sticks out and a nut is threaded onto it. It sounds like that is what you have and one of them has been run in too far and is catching on part of the parking brake hardware. If that is correct, remove the wheel and rotor, then, since it obviously didn't turn that hard, you should be able to thread it back out with a pair of pliers.

Tuesday, November 22nd, 2016 AT 5:50 PM