Brake pedal feels soft and goes all the way to floor not fully coming to stops

HALEY LYNETTE DOSS
  • 2002 PONTIAC GRAND AM
Hello, I recently had my friend change out my brake line hose in my car but now when driving it the brake pedal feels really loose and goes all the way to the floor when I push down so I have to pump it a couple times. Sometimes it will stop but mostly it just barely slows down even when I am pushing down as far as I can it slowly keeps going and I have to pull the e-brake up. I always check my brake fluid and it is always good. I also heard that he accidentally put transmission fluid instead of brake fluid but I am not for sure if that is the case. It just feels really easy to push with no pressure but hard to stop. Also, the plastic black thing that goes in the cap to seal it to the brake fluid area is broken and I feel like it is not closing well enough. He has also slammed on the brakes several times out of anger putting wear and tear on the peddle.
Could it be possible that he did put the wrong fluid and it caused a tiny leak or air in the hose or does it sound more like a problem with the master cylinder from him not putting the hose on right and being hard on the peddle to cause it to not have the pressure it needs to stop the car?
Sunday, October 9th, 2016 AT 2:43 PM

JIS001
You will need to bleed the whole system first and then you need a compatible scan tool to bleed out the ABS unit. For now try the manual mode bleed process. If you still have problems then the ATF most likely damaged the system and master cylinder, calipers, and hoses need replacing.

Here is the process and hope it works.

Place a clean shop cloth beneath the brake master cylinder to prevent brake fluid spills.
With the ignition OFF and the brakes cool, apply the brakes three to five times, or until the brake pedal effort increases significantly, in order to deplete the brake booster power reserve.
If you have performed a brake master cylinder bench bleeding on this vehicle, or if you disconnected the brake pipes from the master cylinder, you must perform the following steps:
3.1. Ensure that the brake master cylinder reservoir is full to the maximum-fill level. If necessary, add Delco Supreme II, GM P/N 12377967 (Canadian P/N 992667), or equivalent DOT-3 brake fluid from a clean, sealed brake fluid container.
If removal of the reservoir cap and diaphragm is necessary, clean the outside of the reservoir on and around the cap prior to removal.
3.2. With the rear brake pipe installed securely to the master cylinder, loosen and separate the front brake pipe from the front port of the brake master cylinder.
3.3. Allow a small amount of brake fluid to gravity bleed from the open port of the master cylinder.
3.4. Reconnect the brake pipe to the master cylinder port and tighten securely.
3.5. Have an assistant slowly depress the brake pedal fully and maintain steady pressure on the pedal.
3.6. Loosen the same brake pipe to purge air from the open port of the master cylinder.
3.7. Tighten the brake pipe, then have the assistant slowly release the brake pedal.
3.8. Wait fifteen seconds, then repeat steps 3.3-3.7 until all air is purged from the same port of the master cylinder.
3.9. With the front brake pipe installed securely to the master cylinder - after all air has been purged from the front port of the master cylinder - loosen and separate the rear brake pipe from the master cylinder, then repeat steps 3.3-3.8.
3.10. After completing the final master cylinder port bleeding procedure, ensure that both of the brake pipe-to-master cylinder fittings are properly tightened.
Fill the brake master cylinder reservoir with Delco Supreme II, GM P/N 12377967 (Canadian P/N 992667), or equivalent DOT-3 brake fluid from a clean, sealed brake fluid container. Ensure that the brake master cylinder reservoir remains at least half-full during this bleeding procedure. Add fluid as needed to maintain the proper level. Clean the outside of the reservoir on and around the reservoir cap prior to removing the cap and diaphragm.
Install a proper box-end wrench onto the RIGHT REAR wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve.
Install a transparent hose over the end of the bleeder valve.
Submerge the open end of the transparent hose into a transparent container partially filled with Delco Supreme II, GM P/N 12377967 (Canadian P/N 992667), or equivalent DOT-3 brake fluid from a clean, sealed brake fluid container.
Have an assistant slowly depress the brake pedal fully and maintain steady pressure on the pedal.
Loosen the bleeder valve to purge air from the wheel hydraulic circuit.
Tighten the bleeder valve, then have the assistant slowly release the brake pedal.
Wait fifteen seconds, then repeat steps 8-10 until all air is purged from the same wheel hydraulic circuit.
With the right rear wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve tightened securely - after all air has been purged from the right rear hydraulic circuit- install a proper box-end wrench onto the LEFT FRONT wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve.
Install a transparent hose over the end of the bleeder valve, then repeat steps 7-11.
With the left front wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve tightened securely - after all air has been purged from the left front hydraulic circuit - install a proper box-end wrench onto the LEFT REAR wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve.
With the left rear wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve tightened securely - after all air has been purged from the left rear hydraulic circuit - install a proper box-end wrench onto the RIGHT FRONT wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve.
After completing the final wheel hydraulic circuit bleeding procedure, ensure that each of the 4 wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valves are properly tightened.
Fill the brake master cylinder reservoir to the maximum-fill level with Delco Supreme II, GM P/N 12377967 (Canadian P/N 992667), or equivalent DOT-3 brake fluid from a clean, sealed brake fluid container.
Slowly depress and release the brake pedal. Observe the feel of the brake pedal.
If the brake pedal feels spongy, repeat the bleeding procedure again. If the brake pedal still feels spongy after repeating the bleeding procedure, perform the following steps:
21.1. Inspect the brake system for external leaks.
Sunday, October 9th, 2016 AT 3:05 PM