Brake pad slides front or rear

STEVE POLIDORO
  • 2004 CHEVROLET TAHOE
  • 2,340,000 MILES
Lately when I’ve been doing my pads on my truck. The brake pads never fit smoothly until the retainer always fighting with them to get them in place. Am I just buying poor quality pads or doing something wrong?
Saturday, July 6th, 2019 AT 8:07 PM

DANNY L
Hello, I'm Danny.

They are supposed to be a tight fit. Any slop or excessive gap would possibly cause vibration/chatter/squeaking. You're doing it right, It needs to be tight! It does help to apply a small amount of brake grease on the pad ears for anti-squeak and lubrication purposes. Hope this helps and thanks for using 2CarPros.
Danny-
+1
Saturday, July 6th, 2019 AT 8:45 PM
STEVE POLIDORO
Thank you very much for your information. I just thought I was having a hard time that I see on the videos that seem to go a lot easier than I ve had. Thank you I ll keep doing what I m doing appreciate it.
Saturday, July 6th, 2019 AT 9:26 PM
DANNY L
You're welcome! Let us know how it turns out and thanks again for using 2CarPros.
Danny-
+1
Sunday, July 7th, 2019 AT 12:13 AM
STEVE POLIDORO
I do have one more question. My rotors always have contacts in the middle but never on the outside or inside is that normal for my SUV?
Sunday, July 7th, 2019 AT 8:16 AM
DANNY L
Hello again.

Normally it should be even all the way across. Can you take a picture with your phone and upload it here? Hope this helps and thanks again for using 2CarPros.
Danny-
+1
Monday, July 8th, 2019 AT 1:33 PM
STEVE POLIDORO
My bad for a closer inspection after just doing my front brakes my back brakes are junk including the rotors. Sorry to bother you I m replacing everything now. Thank you
Monday, July 8th, 2019 AT 4:17 PM
DANNY L
You're welcome! Here is a tutorial for rear brakes:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-rear-brake-pads-and-rotors

Let me know if you have any other questions.Hope this helps and thanks again for using 2CarPros

Danny-
+1
Monday, July 8th, 2019 AT 5:04 PM