Both heater and AC not working.

CRAZYDAVE2K2
  • 1996 CHRYSLER CONCORDE
Hello all. I've had a problem with my car's heating and cooling for almost 4 years now and my friend/mechanic and I have been unable to solve it. When turned on, the AC and heater only blow out outside temperature air. So if its cold out, even with the ATC set to 90 degrees, it blows out cold air. If it's hot outside, even with the air condition on and with the ATC set to 60 degrees, it blows out hot air. Incredibly frustrating. No error codes. Last year, we replaced the ATC unit however the problems persisted. Last week I did the ATC self-diagnostic and for the first time, two error codes actually came out (25 - Ambient temperature sensor failure and 26 - ATC in-car sensor). My mechanic replaced both of these and flushed the heater core for good measure. The error codes disappeared but the problem still persists. There have been a few other issue with this car over the years but this has been the most frustrating. If anyone here has any suggestions on where to go next, they would be greatly appreciated. And please let me know if you need additional information. Thank you all kindly in advance.

Sunday, January 12th, 2014 AT 5:24 PM

CADIEMAN
The recirculation door sounds like it is stuck open. The ac programmer controls this u will have to replace it to solve your problem dave.
Sunday, January 12th, 2014 AT 9:22 PM
CRAZYDAVE2K2
Hi Cadieman, thank you for the quick response. I believe my mechanic ruled that out already by testing the door and finding that it was working properly. But I will speak with him today to confirm and get back to you. In the meantime, how would I go about replacing the ac programmer? Thanks again.
Monday, January 13th, 2014 AT 5:04 AM
CADIEMAN
The door linkage hooks to the programmer. First disconnect it and manually open and close the door to see if it repairs your problem.
Monday, January 13th, 2014 AT 9:19 PM
CRAZYDAVE2K2
Hi Cadieman. I checked with my mechanic and he confirmed that he did check the recirculation door last summer ( he also thought that was the problem) but it was working correctly. Do you have any suggestions and what to check next? Thanks again.
Tuesday, January 14th, 2014 AT 6:22 AM
CADIEMAN
The door maybe operating but may not be sealing properly that is why I suggested to do it manually. The door seal maybe bad. If that's not it then you will need to check the outside AC case for a leak. If maybe letting in outside air while the system is running. Proform a smoke test on the outside AC case. Remove the power module in the center of the outside case. Rent a smoke machine. Put a rag in the power module hole. Then insert the smoke hose next to the rag. Fill the case up with smoke and look for leaks. This is about all I have for you dave. I hope this helps you. If not I will be here waiting for your answer.
Saturday, January 18th, 2014 AT 10:59 PM
CRAZYDAVE2K2
Thanks cadieman, I'll talk to my mechanic about these and see what we can do. It will probably take a bit but I'll let you know. Thanks again.
Monday, January 20th, 2014 AT 6:26 AM
CADIEMAN
HAVE U REPAIRED YOUR CAR?
Saturday, October 18th, 2014 AT 7:17 AM