1994 BMW 530I WON'T SHIFT OUT OF 3RD WHEN IN AUTOMATIC

• tricthatch
  • 1994 BMW 530i

1994 BMW 530i V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 199000 miles

I don't know much about this car as I just bought it. When I bought it, it had "trans program" error and was locked in 3rd gear. Took to BMW certified mechanic and he replaced the shifter interlock and was able to clear the "trans program" code. When in automatic, the transmission shifts smoothly through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd but will not shift out from 3rd unless I hit the manual switch and then it shifts smoothly into 4th and I switch it back to automatic and it goes on to 5th. It will shift back down through the gears on its own but when it gets back down to 3rd, I have to use the manual button to make it shift out again. The mechanic thinks the transmission just needs to be serviced. The day I got the car out of the shop, I ran it through the car wash and as the jets sprayed under the car, it went back into "trans program" and locked in 3rd gear again, but after I let it sit for a couple of hours and cranked it again, the "trans program" was gone. I'm guessing I may have a bad connection in the wiring, like a short of some sort. Any suggestions?

Monday, May 24th, 2010 AT 11:32 AM

• Dr. Hagerty

Your guess is a good one. Start with that and with the possibility there is something inside the tranny that will require repair, like the harness or a solenoid.

Wednesday, May 26th, 2010 AT 9:56 AM