1992 BMW 525i Vehicle will not start or run

RONNIEJ1953
  • 1992 BMW 525I
I have a repair manual but it does not tell me what I need to know. Whenever battery is connected, main relay is energized. Fuel pump relay not energized. These lights stay on all the time while battery is connected: battery light, check engine light, oil light, and park brake light. When park brake is released light gets dimmer. Have changed all accessible relays and the DME. Still no change.
Saturday, March 28th, 2009 AT 2:50 PM

DR. HAGERTY
Which repair manual do you have? I always buy the Robert Bentley publications, they're the best. Has anything happened to the car? Fire, theft, accident, hack stereo or alarm installations, wrong components? If the main relay is pulling in then you have a problem in the steering column. Do this, drop the under dash from the drivers side and the surround from the steering column to access the ignition switch and disconnect it from the lock. Then the insertion of a screwdriver in the switch should allow you to start the car, and of course shut it off too. The steering column will need to be removed to effect this repair, are you up for it?
Sunday, March 29th, 2009 AT 2:46 AM
RONNIEJ1953
Replaced normal speed relay. This cured the constant instrument cluster lights and main relay being on all the time. Back to original problem. Fuel pump relay not energized. Relay is new. When starter fluid is sprayed into throttle body, car will attempt to start. Changed out DME, no change. Check engine light is not lit.
Sunday, March 29th, 2009 AT 3:34 PM
DR. HAGERTY
Is there a spark at the plugs?
Sunday, March 29th, 2009 AT 3:42 PM
RONNIEJ1953
Car apparently has spark, because it will try to start when starter fluid is sprayed into throttle body. Not getting fuel. Fuel pump not being energized.
Sunday, March 29th, 2009 AT 10:56 PM
DR. HAGERTY
I ask if there is spark at the plug so that I know if it exists, no assumptions please. Inspect for a hot blue spark at the plug. If there is a spark then there should be an injector signal. Then the reason why the pump is not receiving power can be better determined, it is either a fuse or a relay or the wiring to the pump or the pump itself. Locate the fuel pump relay socket and insect for the green wire with the purple stripe, that is the power wire to the pump. Put battery voltage to this wire and see if the car starts and runs, or you can lift the rear seat base out and power the pump up there, it is on the right side.
Monday, March 30th, 2009 AT 11:55 AM
KENA2662
This happened to me I had to put a new
ECU in brain box got it off ebay or you really
may get by with grounding your existing box better
Monday, June 15th, 2009 AT 6:28 PM