1988 BMW 325 Car loses power at 2000 RPM

TRUTHBTOLD
  • 1988 BMW 325
I recently picked up this little gem from a friend that was the original owner. Car dies as she's driving, she takes it in to BMW dealer who tells her it will cost far more to repair than it's worth. I get the car, and there's about a gallon of anti-freeze in the oil pan. Pull the head and the head of one of the head bolts is missing, and evidently popped off and got wedged under the cam and kabam, drives a whole into the cooling cavity of the head, which is not repairable. I pull a used head at the wrecker, get it pressure and vacuum tested and I got a good one. So, I clean it all up, put it all back together, and it fires up, BUT when it hits 2000 rpm in any gear, it's like the key gets turned off. Rpm comes down to 1500 and it runs again.

I tried the stomp method to see if there were any fault codes, and I can't get it to work. Any idea what sensor or other gremlin could be causing this?

steve
Monday, July 6th, 2009 AT 10:21 PM

DR. HAGERTY
Recheck cam timing.
Wednesday, July 8th, 2009 AT 4:48 AM