Blower fan and AC system not working

1MKALLI
  • 1992 DODGE DAKOTA
The ac compressor would not disengage. I shut down the blower fan to off. Next day when needing a little heat, blower would not work and still don't and neither does the compressor on the ac. I replaced the resistance block and fuses, re set the computer and still nothing.
Sunday, September 8th, 2013 AT 5:26 PM

If the resister has been replaced, you need to check to see if there is power to the blower motor. Have you done that? Have you checked fuses?
Sunday, September 8th, 2013 AT 6:01 PM
1MKALLI
Have not checked power at motor but fuses are replaced, will check power at motor tomorrow
Sunday, September 8th, 2013 AT 6:12 PM
Let me know what you find. If there is power, it sounds like the motor is bad. Also, when you replaced the resister, was it bad?
Sunday, September 8th, 2013 AT 6:20 PM
1MKALLI
The resister had no apparent damage
Sunday, September 8th, 2013 AT 6:30 PM
Okay. Usually when the motors go bad, they take the resister with them. Check for power to the motor. It's under the dash on the passenger side. If there is no power, go right back to the fuse that you replaced and see if there is power there.

Let me know what you find.

These are generally great trucks. I have owned 5 Dakotas over the years. One was a 92 like yours. I sold it with 265K miles on it still running.
Sunday, September 8th, 2013 AT 6:38 PM
1MKALLI
There is no power at the fuse
Sunday, September 8th, 2013 AT 7:13 PM
That is causing the problem. You need to now trace wiring back to the power supply. Not a fun job.
Monday, September 9th, 2013 AT 9:55 AM
1MKALLI
I tested the 50 amp fuse socket found it good, retested the inside fuse block found it good as well. I must have had a bad ground the first time. Not sure the best way to get to the wires on fan, without tearing apart the entire dash as I have read. I think my two possibilities are the switch or the fan motor, but not sure. I have also read about a blower relay but I don't find any labeled as such if so where is it located and how can I test it?
Monday, September 9th, 2013 AT 12:49 PM
As far as the relay, I don't believe your truck has one for that purpose. To access the blower motor isn't as bad as you think. You need to remove the glove box, and a few other things, but the dash isn't removed.
Monday, September 9th, 2013 AT 3:02 PM
1MKALLI
Pulled the heater blower. Motor tests good. There is power to motor but no ground. No ground to resistance coil either. Could the problem be the control switch? If so what is the best way to remove it as it has wires that do not unplug from the unit. I appreciate all your help.
Saturday, October 5th, 2013 AT 5:35 PM
1MKALLI
It defiantly was my ac/heater control switch. It has been replaced and my blower fan works again. Thanks again for your help
Saturday, October 12th, 2013 AT 8:04 PM
Glad you got it fixed.
Saturday, October 12th, 2013 AT 10:34 PM